Help 1990 force 90 HP flywheel removal

ERA

Seaman
first off all im sorry if i ask a dump questions but this is the first time to deal with marine motors
ok here my story with 1990 force 90 hp flywheel
i think i did everything to remove this flywheel with no success. took nut off and put it back on with couple turns then level up all three screws then tight up the puller screw real good hit it with my Hammer couple times nothing happen . took the whole power head to the shop they tried heavy duty tools to get it off with no success .i put the 3 screws and the puller screw back tight them again and sprayed it wd 40 left it over night then start hit the puller screw again with hammer with no result then i bought impact wrench tried it then one of the 3 screw come off now the hole needs to be re thread again . so i think i tried everything possible ,so please if you have any idea what i should do with it now please help
i have another question is the flywheel has to be in Specified position or something and is there is anything i need to take off beside the top nut coz i feel that there is something holding the flywheel underneath is there is a key or something please help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help 1990 force 90 HP flywheel removal

DSCN0037.jpgFlywhee1l.jpg

Nothing holding it on but the pressure.
Sometimes the darn thing just won't cooperate.
You'll need to drill,tap to the next size.Then use heat after it's installed.
Your probably gonna ruin the top seal but it can't be helped.
I had one that WOULD NOT come off.It had welded its self on the taper.
I tried the 3 bolts on the flywheel and a BIG 3 jaw puller.It still wouldn't work.
You can try the 3jaw? Don't use a cheap one.
The pics are what I ended up with? Turns out the block was junk anyway(even though it was running before the stator went bad).It was running and holding 145# of comp.with the cracked liner????

ERA

Seaman

thnx jerry .do u mean next size screw for the puller if thats wht ya mean then yea thats wht i did already i drilled all three screw holes and i will go buy threader today and try again . i already tried heat i used heat gun that i usually use for computer work .

Jiggz

Captain

After re-threading to next big size which I believe will be 5/16", spray it with WD40 again overnight. Use a little piece of rag to dam around the shaft and puddle the center shaft with WD40. Comes next day you will need a propane torch. Remove the rags and wipe dry the surface. Put tension on the puller without breaking any of the three bolts. Light up the torch at high concentrated heat and aim it to the center of the flywheel while avoiding the shaft (heat shield the shaft if you can). What you want to accomplish is be able to heat the center of the flywheel before the shaft so it will expand and release.

High heat is what you need, a heat gun will not do since the heat gets transferred to the shaft before the flywheel heats up enough making both parts expand at the same time. Just make sure heat shield things out of the way. Get a hammer and impact wrench ready but do not hit it so hard it will bend the shaft. Sometimes all it takes is just a normal tap and the vibration will let it go. Make sure you prepare right because as soon as you started heating it and you missed it the first time, there is no need to do the second time unless the whole thing is cool again. Goodluck. If you get lucky, you might not even need the hammer but rather just hear the thing pop. And if that happens, get your impact wrench ready to finish the job. don't let it cool after hearing the pop, otherwise it could weld itself to the shaft again.

ERA

Seaman

finally i got it off 3 big bolts works pretty good . thnks everybody