125 hp force starting problem

maxxum force

Cadet
My 125 hp Force has been running fine. I went out on Sunday and it would not start. When i turned the key all i here is a winning sound.The starter is spinning but its not turning the drive assembly.thus causing the winning. Does this mean i need a new starter?? Please help..Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 125 hp force starting problem

Sounds like the Bendex assembly (thing with the gear on the end of the starter shaft) is either bad, or has just gotten stuck. Could also be that the starter is not getting enough juice to spin the starter fast enough for the Bendex to engage. Just take a plastic screw driver handle and give the Bendex a whack. If that free's it up, take a small amount of oil and lube it up. Better yet, take some dry moly lubricant, like the stuff they recommend for locks and lube it up.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

This happened to me. Battery was weak. I thought starter had went but another battery and wala...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Load test the battery.
Does the bendix go up and engage the flywheel?
If it was running and didn't charge the battery???

maxxum force

Cadet

The drive assembly rides up to the flywheel and the bendex doesn't seem to ride up high enough to spin the drive assembly.

foodfisher

Captain

Clean starter/bendix shaft. I use wd40 then back it up with silicone spray. No go, then check batt. (load test). Need more umph. All connections clean and shiney?

maxxum force

Cadet

yes all the connections are clean.....I will try all suggestions tomorrow!!! Thank you all!!!:)

maxxum force

Cadet

ok...I tried everything and now i have nothing. I turn the key and nothing happens. I checked the battery and it is 100% now what...new starter????

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

i had to replace the starter on my dad's boat a few years ago - got one new for about 60 or 70 bucks on ebay. Easy to put in. I'm not sure if that is your issue but an easy thing to try. How did you test the battery, autozone ?

foodfisher

Captain

"Nothing happens". Not even the original whirring? Check kill switch if there is one, the neutral safety switch position, fuses.

Jiggz

Captain

ok...I tried everything and now i have nothing. I turn the key and nothing happens. I checked the battery and it is 100% now what...new starter????

Not even a "click" from the solenoid? Neutral switch assuming your connections are tight and battery is 100% as you reported.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Check to see if you're getting 12 volts D.C. at the starter when you turn the key to the "start" position before you go out and buy a starter.

maxxum force

Cadet

ok....so I decided to open up the starter and when i did the brushes came out in pieces and it smelled like it burned up..

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like it is time for a new starter then! Under $100 new on ebay.....!

Jiggz

Captain

If the starter is really burnt bad as you mentioned, you should at least still hear a clicking sound from the starter solenoid, unless you also tripped the ckt bkr. So now you still need to check the neutral switch and the ckt bkr and even with the starter disconnected (just make sure the positive big red cable is taped off and not touching ground) you will hear the solenoid click if everything else is working OK.

maxxum force

Cadet

well i just received and installed my new starter which i bought on e-bay for $66.00 and it started up first try!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!!!