1997 Force 90 - impeller change / shift linkage ?

CZSteve

Seaman
Hello - I've pulled our pontoon w/ a 1997 Force 90 s-stroke out of the water for maintenance; I'm generally fairly handy but have never replaced an impeller, I've searched and watched a few You-Tubes but still have a question or two.

- Shift Linkage: Our appears to be some type of spline connection and have heard different thoughts. Best to shift into forward or leave in neutral before dropping the lower unit?

- Grease: I've seen the suggestion of applying a light coat of grease to the impeller to aid the initial dry start-up - marine wheel bearing grease ok? Other?

- Anyone have pics or diagrams regarding the shift linkage for a better feel of what to expect?

Pic of shift linkage attached.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• IMAG1247.jpg
    IMAG1247.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0

beaver1

Recruit
Re: 1997 Force 90 - impeller change / shift linkage ?

Any luck?

I've been hesitating to do mine because the linkage (like yours) looks different from any I've been able find online ie: youtube etc. I'd like to know what to expect before I pulled it apart. Just curious if you made any head way ..................

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes in gear. A bit of grease helps.
The drive in gear,that way if your putting it back in.
You can pull up on the right prop blade to turn the shaft so it meshes.
Fairly easy job.
Hey Beav fill out the profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There are detents in all three positions: Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. Conventional wisdom says to remove the lower unit with everything in forward gear. In reality, as long as you don't move anything, you can do it in any position. Since the shift shaft is splined, you simply remove the bolts holding the lower unit on and slide it ( the lower unit) down. If your engine has an impact hole and hose for the speedometer in the lower unit you will also need to disconnect the tubing.