Timing a 1994 Force 120 outboard

flower2

Recruit
When timing the 120 and only cranking the engine, will you burn out the coils if the spark plug leads from the coils are not grounded or attached to the spark plug and grounded. Just idling the engine with the timing light on the timing marks come in as way to advanced. I turned the timing screw in and the idle smoothed out but still way off the mark. I know it has to be timed at WOT but didn't think it would make that much difference. But thinking about it it would.

Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing a 1994 Force 120 outboard

The only important setting is timing advance at wide open throttle. YES, you must ground the plugs otherwise you MAY set up a feedback and damage the CD unit.

Timing can be set at cranking speed and I believe your 1994 has timing instructions right on the flywheel or block. Set advance according to these instructions. If there are no instructions set timing advance to 28 degrees BTDC at WOT.

Watch the sticky at the top of the page: Tutorial

flower2

Recruit
Re: Timing a 1994 Force 120 outboard

The only important setting is timing advance at wide open throttle. YES, you must ground the plugs otherwise you MAY set up a feedback and damage the CD unit.

Timing can be set at cranking speed and I believe your 1994 has timing instructions right on the flywheel or block. Set advance according to these instructions. If there are no instructions set timing advance to 28 degrees BTDC at WOT.

Watch the sticky at the top of the page: Tutorial

Thank you very much.