1975 chrysler 20hp

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all..
I am thinking about getting a 1975 20 hp chrysler outboard model 205hf, it has electric start. I was wondering if there was an eaiser way to find replacement parts for i am going to acquire this motor in a few days. I am new to the outboards motors and might need some help!

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1975 chrysler 20hp

All i know from what this guy is telling me is that the motor ran 2 years ago. I know how to rebuild carbs and smaller tasks like that, but i might have a issues with some parts and need help. i will post pictures when i get the motor its not pretty but if it ran 2 years ago then i will have it running one way or another.

wickware

Lieutenant

Will he test run it (in a barrel or in the water) for you which is the best deal IMO? Otherwise there is a chance the engine is not performing (cooling) and needs more work.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's an electric start. And the deals good?? I'd buy just for the resale on parts.
These motors are really simple. Just make sure the compression is good.
Within 5# of each other.

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

Its a good deal I'm making g out on the deal. But I know I want to put new water pump and clean carb as soon as I get my hands on it. I'm searching for parts but no luck I am new don't know where to start looking. The electric start does turn over motor-good so I'm getting it. I want a good source of parts if I run into trouble.

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

What's the difference between force and Chrysler??

wickware

Lieutenant

Did you check for good compression and fire at least if you did not start and run the motor?

Will a manual come with the motor? Clymer Manual or Techs will show some Chrysler and Force parts are the same. I would think some parts are not as plentiful as others on Unique Motors. My bottom of the line 1970 35 hp Chrysler has been good to me with only minor tuning/maintenance needed since 1984.

Good Luck!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Chrysler was the parent company.Then in the early 80's they were bought by US Marine and they changed the name to Force.
Then Mercury bought them and in the mid 90's they started changing them over to Merc parts and then discontinued the motors in 99.

To buy parts, Valley Sales in Prudenville,Mi. Or Franz Marine.
E-bay is a good place for parts too.
Location? Profile? You might be close to someone who can help.

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info there wickware and jerry.
Today is the day i got in touch with the guy selling and he will have it running for me to see, cant wait. I currently live in southwest PA.
the reason i ask about the force/chrysler is i didn't know if parts were interchangable. I will be picking up the motor up today even if it doesnt' run i am able to do light to med repairs to it. All i know is that water pump will be the first thing i will look at and i don't know if it has a thermostat on it. 1975 20hp chrysler model 205hf i have been looking to see if it has thermostat on it on the internet but no luck.
I will post my findings on the motor tomorrow morning i will be checking for replys today and tomrrow thanks for all the help

Last edited:

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

Okay I got the 1975 Chrysler 20 hp motor I had to guy started up it started on the very first turn over It is electric start and it has a small light on the very top of the top cover Surprisingly the light still works I am unsure onto which model serial number this is But it runs good and I plan to check out the waterpump I will be cleaning up this motor going in tonight and have a picture posted tomorrow

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

check out the other problems, stories i had with this motor

1975 chrysler 20hp lower unit oil seals

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

motor runs perfect, starts first time, Lower Unit is in good shape now, replaced all the seals in LU, Plan for this winter is to tear down whole thing and clean it, paint it, put back together and maybe sell it
i have 2 motors currently and want to sell one locally if anyone lives in Southwestern PA reply to me or private message me thanks

G

good job dubfab. I purchased a force 15hp gamefisher 2 stroke a week ago. the guy started it for it out of the water. I brought it to the mechanic (hope he doesn't drain my bank) if anyone can tell me there was a metal connector bar about 4 inches long with some kind of plastic piece that's broken hanging on the left hand side almost at the botton. ahh ill show pictures when I get it back tomorrow.

dubfab

Seaman Apprentice

the connector bar, was it in near the power head or near the lower unit

G

you can see it as soon as you remove the cowl, all the way at the bottom by the connector that that switches the gears from neutral to reverse