Just scored a FREE 14' boat with a 1966 Chrysler 45HP but need some lower unit parts!

ryan1215

Recruit
Hello all! I recently scored a FREE 14ft fiberglass hull with a trailer and a new floor and solid transom. All of the wiring is in place as are the fuel and control lines. The outboard on the back of this is a 1966 Chrysler 45HP Model 45631, Serial 3251 it looks like a long shaft. The upper motor and the powerhead appear to be in very good condition however the lower unit needs some attention. The friend I got it from threw a prop a few months ago, the driveshaft is intact and fine but it looks like I need to replace the lower drive gears and reverse, as well as the bevel gear and the driveshaft bearing, the propshaft and the prop as well. I have read that the lower unit parts on these motors is interchangeable with other motors in the 35-55 hp range, is this true? I am trying to figure out where I can find these parts, I have found some on Ebay but want to make sure I have the right stuff before I order it. I am a NEWB when it comes to boat motors but not to fixing other motors and other mechanical stuff.
Any advice to point me in the right direction as to parts interchangeability or maybe any parts I am leaving out is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan.IMG_0335.jpgIMG_0334.jpg

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Just scored a FREE 14' boat with a 1966 Chrysler 45HP but need some lower unit pa

Where is the motor? LOL. It is my understanding that the 35-55 hp of the same series are the same except for hp bore and stroke. There is a two carb 55 hp version. Attached is your boat rotated, my 1970 35 hp with the long L/U leg. I doubt finding a L/U will be that hard or far once you trade info on this board. Do you think you would rather rebuild vs finding a good L/U off a blown motor?

Attachments

• Lights Added On Right 3 In. Higher (2).jpg
    Lights Added On Right 3 In. Higher (2).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0334[1].jpg
    IMG_0334[1].jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just scored a FREE 14' boat with a 1966 Chrysler 45HP but need some lower unit pa

First, Ryan, let's get something straight: NO BOAT IS EVER FREE as you are finding out.

OK! The early model Chrysler 35,45, and 55 single carb outboards all used the same lower unit and props. The Chrysler 50 and early Force 50 engines also used toe same lower unit.

Since your engine is a long shaft version, any lower unit mentioned in the long shaft version will work.

Rather than buying a piece here and a piece there, you would be much better off buying a whole good lower unit. Also, since your lower unit has the water pick-up on the back side of the exhaust snout, and has a small anti-ventilation plate, you would be better finding a later lower unit--say mid 70s on-- which has the water pick-up just above the gearcase torpedo and a larger anti-ventilation plate.

DO NOT buy a lower unit or parts from a two carb 55, 60, or 65 engine because these were completely different.

wickware

Lieutenant

I found the motor! It appears we have the same motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0335[2].jpg
    IMG_0335[2].jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0

ryan1215

Recruit

Hey guys sorry my pics were upside down!! hahaha, I know all to well there is no such thing as a free boat this is actually my second 14 ft fiberglass project boat. However this one is in better structural shape than my one at home. I am glad to find out to avoid the 2 carb models. I agree about just gettin a whole lower unit of a blown motor instead of having to do it a piece at a time. I have done some looking around but havent had much luck finding complete lower units. And you think I should be looking for a mid 70's lower unit. Any sites I should be trying? I am located in Upstate NY, Originally from the fingerlakes and Ithaca but right now I am up in Albany and that is also where this new found orphan boat was adopted. I know of one marine parts yard back home but none up here near Albany. Wickware, glad to finally meet someone else who has the same motor and hasn't told me I am crazy to try to run one of these on this boat. Have you had any luck finding parts for this motor Wickware? Thanks again for the replies guys I am looking forward to gettin this boat goin.

wickware

Lieutenant

Frank, Is this the old style on this 1970 35 hp Chrysler?

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain & Non Marked Screw (1).JPG
    70 Chrysler, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drain & Non Marked Screw (1).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drains & Non Marked Screw.jpg
    70 Chrysler, 35 HP, Marked Vent & Oil Drains & Non Marked Screw.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7209.jpg104_7210.jpg104_7072.jpg

Yes and no! It will fit. It has the better water pick-up, and I think, a 4 bolt water pump vs. your 3 bolt. It also has the pretty "stump-stabber" hydro-dart gearcase.

I myself am looking for one of those for my 10 foot go-fast. The current lower unit has a bullet shaped gearcase and I want a hydro-dart. However, even though I have a gearcase, it will not swap: The bearing in the newer bullet nosed gearcases is smaller than the bearing in the stump-stabber.

Nordin

Commander

The very old WestBend/Chrysler 1965-66 did not have a spline propshaft, and the hydrodart typ was changed into the bullet typ in 1974-75 I think. There are some different in the shiftshaft during the years. Later had a pin and a cotterpin conncetion and older a threaded typ coupler between the lower and the intermidated shaft.

Frank I think you know but I will inform you that the gasket in the lowest part sets the backlach in the piniongear, if you are going to try changing parts from a bullet and hydrodart typ.

wickware

Lieutenant

Good info for us interested students Frank and Nordin.

ryan1215, I have not needed a major part since my 1984 purchase. BUT! Motor wise, I personally would only go with a complete guaranteed L/U or a complete donor L/u. I have seen some units of different Brands/Models that I feel it would be donors for the asking due to the years of non use, wasting space, with no real values left. You need that local creative Craigslist, Etc Add, ?I?ll Haul Off Your Mid 70?s 35 - 55 HP Chrysler Motor? (for the parts)!