1982 Chrysler 125hp No Spark on all 4 cyl

myerchinize

Cadet
Hey guys! I've been reading thru the forum looking for help and decided to post my own. I have 1982 Chrysler 125hp model # 1258H2B. I had the motor running. It was boggy and backfiring. Noticed gas leaking out of lower carb. Here comes the fun stuff... Got a new float online. Couldn't find a needle and seat. Ended up finding an old forum with help. Said to use a briggs and stratton part #. Worked great. Carb doesn't leak. Pump the bulb, gets rock hard. Sweet! Turn it over, and now I managed to lose spark to all 4 cyls. No clue where to go from here. Tried wiggling all the wires around as I didn't touch the wiring for a carb change. Tried getting the flywheel off to look underneath for loose/broken wires. Won't budge with a puller and impact wrench. Looking for help on what to check and how to check it. Had a guy tell me to look for a loose magnet under the flywheel. Still trying to get it off to look. I just don't understand, I had it running before the carb work and now nothing. Thank you for your time. -Jason

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 Chrysler 125hp No Spark on all 4 cyl

The magnet,you can see it.Just turn the motor over as you look up inside the flywheel.
Check the flywheel for TDC. Top plug out. Small screwey in and turn flywheel,by hand till it comes out all the way.
The other ide of the motor.There should be a single hash mark that indicates TDC. It should be very close to the timing mark?
Get a manual. Factory is best.
Your unit could have 2 types of ignition.Post a pic of your ignition.The parts manual says it a CD ignition.The stator could be bad.
Outboard ignition . com or CDI . com both have test procedures.

myerchinize

Cadet

right.jpgleft.jpg

Will look for manual. Thank you so much for the help!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Go to the terminal board on the starter motor side. Disconnect the white wire and insulate them. See if you have spark. If you do, the trouble is in the stop circuit--white and blue wires or a bad ignition switch. Careful: If you start the engine, it will not shut down. You must choke it by hand or jump blue to white to stop it.

Check the ground wire from the electronics mounting plate to the bypass cover. If this plate is not grounded, you will not get any spark. I make it a practice to "daisy chain" a ground from each coil and CD box directly to the engine block.

myerchinize

Cadet

Removed the 3 white (magneto) wires and taped them up seperate from eachother. Still no spark. Checking grounds now. I did manage to borrow a volt/ohm meter. Not sure what to check with that. Thank you!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fll out the profile? You might be close to someone who can help?

myerchinize

Cadet

Profile updated. I'm in Shawano WI. 30 min west of Green Bay. Checked all grounds. Found a bunch of troubleshooting guides on the sites you recommended. Some are easy to do. Others are hard to understand what to check. I checked all the wires from ignition back to the motor. All good as far as no breaks in the wires. Also tried jumping the motor straight from battery to starter solonoid. Still no spark. Gonna try to find a gear puller again to pop the flywheel off. Tried turning the flywheel by hand to look for a loose magnet. I don't see it tho. Maybe the magnet fell out? I don't see it on the schematic either.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The magnet is not in the schematic.
It fits up inside the flywheel.Its kinda red it's about 1/16th X 1" and it fits around the inside of the wheel.

myerchinize

Cadet

Sorryy for the wait, but I'm back. *Got the flywheel off finally. *I can see the magnet. *All the way around the inside lip of the outside edge of the flywheel. It's in its place and intact. *Now I see the stator and the trigger beneath it. *All the wires and insulation look to be good. *How can I troubleshoot them? Hard to tell from reading the guides (not very elecronically inclined). *The outside edge of the stator (which would ride right next to the magnet) are kinda rusty. Maybe they stopped making the connection? Can i sand on them a bit to clean them up? Otherwise what's next while I have the flywheel off?

myerchinize

Cadet

Buddy came over with a Vantage Meter. Well, we found spark. Somehow the magneto (white) wire was grounded causing the no spark. Now I only have spark on the top 2 cyls. By switching wires around, found one of the power packs (modules) is bad. Hopefully I can find a cheap used one. Cheapest new one I found is $200. Thanks for all the help!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Look on e-bay.
Just make sure that you get the ones that plug in.
Otherwise you'll have to splice the connectors.