Replaced water pump in 85HP Force; should this happen? - First Post

SRK75

Recruit
I just replaced the impeller and pump housing with a new kit from QuickSliver (I occasionally got the temp warning buzzer last year). Everything seemed to go together right and, after some effort, the lower end drive shaft splines/water pump housing output to water pipe/prop drive selector tube seemed to line up right and bolt together. Started motor OK and am getting water flow out the two water exhaust holes but doesn't seem to be much more than before and I noticed I'm getting a solid stream of water out of the six water "weep" holes in the lower end right by the six bolt holes that attach the lower end to the motor. I'm sure this didn't happen before. I know these holes allow water to seep out of the lower end and that the cavity where the impeller housing is isn't water tight but if it normal that with a stronger water flow due to the new impeller that water should be streaming out of these weep holes? Seems to me that there must be a leak around the new impeller housing gasket or housing water output fitting to engine inflow pipe or from the rubber seal around water housing to drive shaft. Anyone have this experience and ideas of what the problem is? Thanks for the help.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replaced water pump in 85HP Force; should this happen? - First Post

Are you running it on muffs or in a barrel? Maybe a pic? Sounds like the brass water tube may not be lined up quite right?

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replaced water pump in 85HP Force; should this happen? - First Post

I would agree with tater. Sometimes when reinstalling the lower unit the water tube will pinch an edge of the water tube grommet/seal, in a case such as this, will produce a leak.