1987 Force 35HP Outboard Lower Unit Problems

jreyn006

Cadet
photo (8).jpgphoto (9).jpg

Pic of the bearing behind the the prop with the broken ears I just put on last fall and ran one time before I parked it for the winter. Pulled it out last week only to find it broke again- I'm assuming water got into the lower unit and it froze during the wonderful Maryland winter time and busted it again??? Any other ideas would be helpful

Pic of the gear oil coming out of the water pump inlet is new to me and I don't even have a clue where to start??? Any suggestions/links/guidance would be super appreciated since I'm super new to all this

Thanks again everybody for taking time to look at this for me!!!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Force 35HP Outboard Lower Unit Problems

When the winterization is done the gear oil should be changed.
You need to take it apart and see what damage is done.
Then after it's back together a pressure test is needed.
The gear oil leak? If that's what it is.Means there is a seal that's allowed the oil to come out.
When freezing it expands and pushes out at the weakest point.
Hopefully it didn't crack the housing?

jreyn006

Cadet

Well if you look at the pic of the bearing housing that's broken you can see that the prop was spinning when that bearing housing decided to eject itself- if I were a betting man I'd say that lower unit is somehow being pressurized? Any ideas???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like you said:freeze'n will do that.
Drain and see how much water?
Then do a reseal on it while it's apart.

jreyn006

Cadet

Jerry bear with me here- I'm thinking since the back side of the prop is torn up from the prop rotating that the housing broke when the motor was running. Do you think it's possible that the water could freeze in the lower end while I was running it down the lake???
It would be one thing if the prop was not scarred up- I have no issues saying it broke over the cold winter from water expansion just sitting there-

That bearing housing cost me 90 bucks to replace I really don't want to put another one on without having completely understood why I'm replacing it again

jreyn006

Cadet

Or I was wondering if you thought that the water that was getting in would cause enough pressure to blow out that bearing housing?
Is that possible- would that kind of be like over servicing the lower end with to much grease?

I really am just trying to come up with a logical explanation before i get started tearing this thing apart as to why I've blown out to bearing housing while the prop was spinning??

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Someone give this guy a hand. I work with him every day and needs a little help.

I told him to sign up here to get some answers.

IMO

I think the lower unit is getting pressurized from a water leak into the gear section and found the path of least resistance (bearing housing) to escape...

If this were an I/O I would be all over repairing this, but I have very little experience with the Force motor. I owned one for a week.

Nordin

Commander

jreyn006 Do as jeryjerry says. Tear it apart and reseal it then pressurisetest it.
This issue comes from water in the gearhouse. When it freeze and goes to ice it has huge force and will even crack the housing if you are unlucky.
To be really sure not to crack it. Drain the gearhouse from oil and refill with fresch every fall. It is a very cheap insureance knowing it would not crack during the winter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There's NO way it will overpressurize its self.NO way to overfill, No way anyoil/water would freeze while it's moving.Unless you dunk it in liquid nitrogen:)
I understand the breaking while moving(now).
Does it shift? What's in there now? Water? Oil? Broken gears?Chunks of metal.
At anytime you shear the pin on the prop? That could be the reason for the paint missing on the prop?
Take it apart. Al.The stern drive is/was an outboard just bent at the top:)