70HP 1972 CHRYSLER Spline stripped

Udunit

Recruit
I have a 1972 70hpChrysler that has been old faithful to me. It looks like the spline at the motor gas stripped. Short if a complete rebuild to replace the crank, is there any other hope for this motor?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70HP 1972 CHRYSLER Spline stripped

Your right if the coupler on the crank has stripped, there aint much that can be done.
The crank needs to be replaced.
Unless you can cut the drive shaft,weld it to the head and them make a coupler to attach the shaft after the welding.
You'll need to? Just get another crank:)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

WOW! I never heard of a crankshaft stripping out the splines. A couple of photos would sure be appreciated.

Are you certain that the driveshaft is not the only component that stripped? Replacing a drive shaft is way easier.

Udunit

Recruit

You'll have to give me a few weeks to try and get pics. I've already got my replacement boat...1984 Renken with a Volvo Penta AQ125A engine and a 270 out drive. Needed a boat for vacation in 2 days so what a good excuse :D I will have a look at the Chrysler after vacation. I did remove the lower end, tore it down and everything in it was solid and in good shape. There were a lot of filings at the top of the drive shaft (which was in good shape as well). Shone the light up into the business end and it didn't look pretty :blue:

We are off to lovely Georgian Bay to an island cottage near Parry Sound, Ontario Canada....may not come back :)