Should I re-assemble with the used trigger?-1994 Force 50

djsforce

Seaman
Thanks to this forum I diagnosed a bad stator and rectifier on my motor. It's a 9 amp thunderbolt system. With tips from this forum I got the flywheel off and managed to get a used stator (tests perfectly) and a new rectifier. My question is with the trigger. It only reads 800 ohms, and according to the manual it should be 1100-1400. I couldn't find a new one, so I purchased a used one and it reads only 850 ohms. I'm already in much deeper mechanically than with anything I've done before, again thanks to this forum. So in your opinion should I reassemble with the trigger reading low or would it be better to wait and try and find a new one? I appreciate your advice either way.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Should I re-assemble with the used trigger?-1994 Force 50

The chart that I use says the trigger should measure 800 - 1400 OHM's. The triggers are not a high failure item. Most of the one's I've seen that are bad have had the wires damaged from rubbing against the flywheel. I would go with what you have.

CDI electronics DVA chart page 2 also indicates 800- 1400 OHMs for 1994 50HP trigger.
ISSUU - CDI Electronics DVA Chart by CDI Electronics

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like pnw said, put it back together.
The triggers rarley go bad.
I'd use the original just to see if it was bad.
If it runs then you probably have a good spare.
Or a good e-bay item.

Is the Waterloo Region in Canada?

djsforce

Seaman

Thanks for the information. The current trigger looks fine, wires are perfect and since it's already set up, I'll stick with that one. Yes I'm in Ontario Canada and now I can put the motor back together and I'll be ready for another season!

djsforce

Seaman

It fired right up and ran awesome!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Great! Happy boating!

acalabro

Seaman

Hey there I have a force 50 and can't seem to find an answer of how to check trigger resistance. I haven't removed the flywheel yet. Where do I connect the probes to, all I see is 4 wires coming out of the trigger which ones do I test? Thanks