45hp Chrysler...lost power in forward gear>>>>

skizman

Seaman
Hey peoples. Just bought 14ft fishmaster boat with 1976 45hp Chrysler..mod# 457HH. Made my first run on lake this morning. It started fine....ran great. Got it started to go back to the dock and there was no power in forward. Engine only revved up a tiny bit with shifter lever pushed all the way forward. It worked fine when I put in in reverse....also worked in neutral with button pulled out and throttle pushed forward. Really strange that it worked great at first, then in a couple hours it had no power in forward.
I sure would appreciate your knowledgable input!!!!! :confused:
Thanks.
Ski

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 45hp Chrysler...lost power in forward gear>>>>

1. Are you seeing any shifting on your motor when you go to all 3 positions (in attached area)?
2. Have you examined the control condition?
3. Have you examined cables conditions at the motor and control?

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (1).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (1).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 0

skizman

Seaman

Thanks for your input. I checked all the linkage. It all moves exactly the same when I put it in forward or reverse. On Saturday I will try to find new points/condenser and plugs. One set of points looked a little burned. Also.....where exactly is the puddle valves? Anyone have a pic? I can't find much info about these valves.
Thankyou!!!

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Have you tried shifting into forward manually at the coupling? Thinking the coupling was not centered good from replacing an impeller.

2. Look close for marks of slipped cable on the motor. Something will show up good or bad.

3. The puddle valve assy is new to me (never dealt with it or found exact info in Clymer manual. From the descriptions I feel they are at the black hoses off the fuel pump in the attachment.

4. Finding stock/spec points might be a challenge unless you have a good marine source. Slightly burned or dirty points can be dressed with Emory cloth/paper and lent cleaned if needed. I hope this will not be a new experience. It can be a small challenge if you have not seen it done by an experienced tech or have an experienced tech looking over your shoulder.

5. Personally, I have never taken a bold move without the experience of others, since about 1963. LOL!

skizman

Seaman

My whole life has been bold moves. Makes me feel like I'm really living. You mentioned checking the coupler to see if it shifts, but it does shift into both forward and reverse. Local marine dealer doesn't have any points, so I'll just have to get the emory cloth out. I'll see what happens after I get the points back in.
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!

wickware

Lieutenant

You know how to live vs scary me, Go For It!

1. Are you saying it is going into forward but no power? If so that is above my experience.
2. My ref was to disconnect the coupler, shift manually to know you are in forward (due to close tolerances).
3. I have my 1984-85 installed points (that h/n burned) vs cleaned with emory 3-4 times (too much oil on wicks).
4. Original parts will have to be replaced with generics and if they are proven good specs they should work.

Good Luck! If I see questions Etc I have experienced, I?ll get back (as I ck board randomly X 35 ? 55 hp Chryslers.

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP R-N-F-Marked Centering Coupling.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP R-N-F-Marked Centering Coupling.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 0

skizman

Seaman

I couldn't find new points in my area so I pulled these out...gave em the emory cloth treatment. I noticed that the gap settings on both of them were off. I started the engine and now the engine revved up like it should in forward. So now I hope when I put er in the lake that it runs like it sounds at home. I hope I hope I hope!!!
I'll type a quick post in a couple days if she's fixed or not.
Thankyou for your time and input!!!

wickware

Lieutenant

Are you saying you were always in gear but had a lack of power? If so, I misunderstood. That?s not an Automatic or Fluid Drive (LOL) where power will put it in gear.

Points will make a big difference in performance if you want that 30 + MPH depending on extra weight. I was clocked at 32 mph with just me in my 15? Fiberglass Raycraft. That puts you on a 5 mi distance Fishing Hole a little faster.

skizman

Seaman

Put new plugs in and adjusted the carb float to specs. It ran like a top on the lake. Feels good. But.....can't seem to get the rpm's right. Turning the linkage on rod that goes to carb roller.....one full turn in has the rpm's too low, and one full turn out gets the rpm's too high. I just can't get it to the right spot. Any ideas?
Thankyou!!!

wickware

Lieutenant

Why is it that the ?linkage and adjustment nut? behind the vertical tower on the motor swivel and etc w/n let you stop with a half turn? If your linkage is different, please post a pic.

Attachments

• 2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    2010 Cleaning Since 1985, as needed Greasing (1).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 0

skizman

Seaman

Are you talking about that thick screw up close to the flywheel? I didn't know that was for adjusting the idle rpm's? I thought the little horizontal small rod that has a locking nut on each end going to the carb was the adjusment. Well anyway....I took the boat to the lake. It started great.....ran like a top. Now that felt good, plus the idle rpm's seemed to be ok. I stopped and shut the engine off a couple times and fished. Sooooooo.......AGAIN....I went back to the boat ramp and about 50 ft from the ramp...the damn engine stalled and I could never get it to run enough to get me back. It sounded like it kept cutting off for a second. Than squeezing the fuel ball didn't help, but now the ball wouldn't pressure up. I pinched the fuel line and the ball did pressure up hard. So something between fuel ball to the carb was not holding pressure. This engine is making me nuts. The fuel pump was rebuilt before I bought the engine.
Seems like this boat doesn't want to go back to the dock. It just want's to stay out and have fun and when it sees the boat ramp it gets nervous and chokes up. :lol:
Dazed and confused again!!!
Thankyou!!!!