1986 Force 125 throttle shift cable install/adjust help

gregdirst

Recruit
Hi, I am installing a new control box. The last part I need to do is install the throttle and shifter cables. I am struggling finding some instructions on how to install/adjust those cables.

Can someone provide me a link or video? Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Force 125 throttle shift cable install/adjust help

I believe I covered it in the tutorial at the top of the forum

gregdirst

Recruit

Thank you for responding. Maybe it is that I am new to forums, but I don't see anything scrolling to the top of this forum related to throttle and shift adjustment. It could be that I am on my phone. I will check once I get to work. If I can't find it do you have a link to the post?

gregdirst

Recruit

I believe I covered it in the tutorial at the top of the forum

I did look at the top of this forum and the only one up there is a stickyt about timing the carbs. Can you please provide the link to the post?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The very firs post is a tutorial video on setting timing and carbs. At the end I believe I show the throttle and shift cables.

At any rate, at the engine end, you clip the groove of the throttle cable into the fitting at the bottom of the timing tower and snug the screw down. You clip the groove of the shift cable into the fitting on the shift arm. For ease, You advance the control handle a bit and clip the quick-connects over the ball ends.

Adjust the large throttle quick-connect by threading it on or off the end of the control cable. Adjust it so that in neutral there is about 1/4 inch of the center spring loaded part pulled out. This ensures that the idle stop screw will seat firmly against the block at idle.

gregdirst

Recruit

Ok that makes sense. I saw that forum post.

I think I understand what I was doing wrong.

Thank you again.