1992 Force 120 water pump impeller

Rope Goat

Cadet
Hello all-it's good to get the boat out of the garage and head out for some fun.
I always value the advice I've received over the last 5 years on this site. ALWAYS helpful.
My question is this-- as preventative maintenance for this year's season, I'm going to replace the water pump impeller. Seems like a smart move as its been in service for 3 years. No issues so far, just want to prevent any.
It's a 1992 Force, still running strong, want to keep it that way.
The question is when I buy the kit from iBoats (Sierra 18-3251), do I need all the gaskets, or can I just buy an impeller only. I've dropped the lower unit a few times in the past so I'm familiar with that procedure, I guess saving $25-30 is appealing as I also am going to put in a Racor water/fuel separator, as I am reading a lot of horror stories with the E-10 gas.
Thanks for reading!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Force 120 water pump impeller

Yes install the filter!! Check it once a month.
Yes a new impeller always mkes me feel better when I know I'm going out.
Ethanol is messing with hoses and plastic.
I don't usually add anything but maybe an E stabilizer(if the boat's gonna set).
I feel the more crap you add to the gas it's gonna mess with the oils protective properties.

If you buy from iboats just make sure it's the right impeller.
They used 2 style pumps on that motor.
One had a stainless insert in the pump and it takes a different impeller.
If you don't destroy the gasket under the stainless plate then all you need is an impeller.

Rope Goat

Cadet

Thanks Jerry. I'll order up the impeller--any idea how to tell which style I need? My recollection is that there's no SS insert...I'll be careful when taking it apart.
Will do on the racor, and I always use Sta-Bil, even during the season. Are you saying I should maybe skip that except for the winter?
I'd not heard of it stripping the oils properties, and I religiously go to my awesome local mech for Merc Quicksilver out of his 50g barrel. Costs more than 'regular', but I think good oil is imperative with a 20 year old motor! Oops now 21!
No boating after Husky home games end for me. Which means I'm done end of January.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

F523065-1 This should be the one with out the insert.
Post a pic of the housing.
The more crap you add the more crap you have???
MY OPINION!!! Seafoam is over rated it doesn't remove carbon like it says.
Maybe??? it helps remove moisture?
I've had a water/fuel sep filter forever.
Since they instituted Ethanol I have NEVER found water in the filter.
And yes if the oil make you feel better.BUY.
I use Wally World stuff.It's made to the same necessary specs that the motor manufacturers suggest or what
's needed.
Never had a problem with carbon after they started making TCW-3
If the carbs are set right,the fuel recirculation isn't clogged,the timing is set.There shouldn't be a problem.
Unless you don't mix the oil right.