1972 Chrysler 20 hp wont start

chrys

Recruit
I bought a small boat that came with a 20 horse 1972 chrysler outboard. I got a really good deal on the boat and motor, with the understanding that the motor did run last time it was used, 7 years before. I went over the entire motor, as much as I knew and found online. I can't get the thing to start. I have cleaned carburetor, replaced impeller, lower end lube, replaced fuel and fuel line, cleaned points, etc. etc. I have good spark, good compression, and I am getting fuel to the carburetor, but it will not start. When pulling the starting rope, it is very difficult to pull when the plugs are in, easy when they are out. Anyone have any ideas before I take this to someone who knows way more than I do about these things. I don't want to spend a pile of money on something I really got for next to nothing, but it would be nice to have for my son and I to use on the river.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1972 Chrysler 20 hp wont start

Fuel to the carb. Is it getting "through" the carb? Are the plugs wet? Pull starting is never a fun thing.

wickware

Lieutenant

Are the plugs firing under compression while in the engine? Is the fire that you see red or blue? A cheap spark tester from Harbor Freight or Auto Stores will prove this. Or! Try two new plugs.

Attachments

• In-Line-Spark-Tester.jpg
    In-Line-Spark-Tester.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
  • In-Line Spark Tester (5).jpg
    In-Line Spark Tester (5).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are you choking the motor? Remove a spark plug and spray some carb cleaner in the cylinder and see if it will at least try to start.