1994 120hp force exhaust holes & water

marc622

Recruit
If you have a 1994 120hp force ,can you tell me if you get water out the exhaust holes at high speed & how much?I'm getting very little to none.Lots at start up & idle though.Getting to many differrent answers,hoping someone with same motor would know for sure.(model no: H120412PX).New impeller on by the way.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1994 120hp force exhaust holes & water

What you're seeing is normal. Those are exhaust pressure relief holes, not sure if I'm using the correct terminology. When at low or idle speeds, the lower leg is submerged quite a bit and the normal exhaust exit is down deep, water level is way up past the cavitation plate. This creates a lot of back pressure on the exhaust and takes more pressure for the motor to push the exhaust out. Motor does not like this, so that's why they put those holes there. Once on plane, the water level drops down to just below the cavitation plate and the exhaust can exit normally so you see little if any coming out of the two holes when you're at speed.

marc622

Recruit

What you're seeing is normal. Those are exhaust pressure relief holes, not sure if I'm using the correct terminology. When at low or idle speeds, the lower leg is submerged quite a bit and the normal exhaust exit is down deep, water level is way up past the cavitation plate. This creates a lot of back pressure on the exhaust and takes more pressure for the motor to push the exhaust out. Motor does not like this, so that's why they put those holes there. Once on plane, the water level drops down to just below the cavitation plate and the exhaust can exit normally so you see little if any coming out of the two holes when you're at speed.

So if i know my impeller,thermostat & alarm are working ,i shouldn't worry about my engine blowing up again?My mechanic said that because i wasn't getting water all the times was why my motor went last summer.When i tried it for the fisrt time this years since motor job and everything was working the same as last year(water at start up & idle and little to none at high speed,he said that maybe that's the way it should work.So he had me confused and scared.Don't want to have to do the motor again.Thank you.

SteveinVA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine does the same thing

gg18189

Cadet

if you are that worried about it install a tell-tale. i did works great and its cheap