1969 Chrysler 45 hp shifting problem with loose bracket on motor.

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice
Well I am having to manually shift my motor due to the bracket that transfers the shifter cable movement into a downward motion to move the shift rod. The bracket is the one that strikes the limit switch for neutral safety switch. ANyways the bracket is wallowed out and so half of the cable movement is spent taking up slack on the bracket. To add to the issue someone has welded the bolt/mount screw that holds this bracket so I'm not sure I can remove it easily. Here is my question does the bracket have a larger hole that rides on a bolt with an enlarged shoulder or ridge thus allowing it to tighten down fully to the step and not against the bracket? I think thats how my old 90 hp was but am not sure. I need to figure out away to shore this bracket up or else its manually shifting from here out for me. Thanks Mitch

Anyone with a good picture of a non welded bolt on motor would be great. I don't have schematics to locate this part.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 1969 Chrysler 45 hp shifting problem with loose bracket on motor.

Will any of these Pics help?

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (4).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (4).JPG
    105 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (1).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (1).JPG
    100 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (2).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (2).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The mounting bolt is a part of the oil recirculation cover. The cover is removable but not the bolt. There should be a Nylock self locking nut holding the shift lever on. You tighten the nut until is it just snug, so there is no slop but yet no drag on the shift lever. The hole in the lever is larger than the bolt and there should be a white plastic bushing inside the hole. If the bushing is missing or worn, buy another one at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, or any good hardware store.

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

That all makes perfect sense. So since mine is flattened off with a blob of weld on it someone must of broken the stud end off. Its real flush and I see no threads just weld and a washer. I'm positive the bushing is gone. So if I grind off and remove this to try and fix it would I be able to completely unthread the piece going into that oil recirculation cover. i.e. is this a stud with threads on both ends? How does it attach on the motor side? Thanks