1994 Force 120HP - Tilt/Trim not working, can hear both relays "click"

res0n0xg

Cadet
Just as the title states, I know this has been beaten to death... History is the boat has been sitting since late fall in the DFW, TX area, it worked just fine before that, every once in awhile it was a little finicky, as in it wouldn't work and the relays would click but it was rare, it's never had a problem actually lifting the motor, never seemed slow, etc. like it was failing.

What is the easiest way to troubleshoot? How do I test each of the two relays? I have a voltmeter and basic tools...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Force 120HP - Tilt/Trim not working, can hear both relays "click"

A test light is the easiest way to test the relays.
Get someone at the switch.
Have them push the switch up and go to the relays and test for power through the relay.
Do the same for down.
If they both have power through to the motor.Then the motor needs help.
Try unhooking the BLUE or GREEN wires from the relays and plug them back in.
Some WD-40 might help clean the contacts?
Try switching around,just for fun and see if anything works??

res0n0xg

Cadet

is a test light something i can go to harbor freight or home depot and buy? i see basic testers but not something it looks like i can plug one of those relays in to...

res0n0xg

Cadet

bump, any other thoughts?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

test.jpg

Auto Zone or any auto parts store.
Don't buy a cheap one. Get one with a long cord.
You don't plug anything in.
You hook the test light to any GOOD ground.
Then apply the point to the green/blue leads as someone hits the switch.

Make sure the teter is good before you do any tests.
Just hit any known hot lead and make sure the light works.

RRitt

Captain

bump, any other thoughts?

do you otherwise want a test light? just hot wire the motor. if it spins then you have a wiring problem. if it doesn't spin then you have a motor problem. If it is a wiring problem then new relays cost less than a good test light. Find and reset the trim circuit breaker on side of cowl near starter. If that doesn't work, then throw some new relays at it. 3 New Trim Tilt Relay 2 Spare Mercury Mariner Force Evinrude Johnson Volvo OMC | eBay If you still have problems then go out and buy yourself a shiny new test light.

res0n0xg

Cadet

how do you hot wire the trim motor? i just connected a wire from a good 12V battery straight to the green and blue wires on the trim motor and nothing. i'm sure i'm doing something wrong?

i tried switching them around too, nothing, just sparking on the battery terminals and the wire was getting hot.

what would be the best process to test for voltage?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I just love test lights,some much can be learned if you have one(I have 4 maybe 5 :0 )Shiny NEW ones are best!!! :)
Or get a voltage meter. Or a test light will tell you if you have voltage.
The motor does nothing if the power is supplied direct to the green/blue leads???
Then you probably need the electric motor part repaired.
You need to eliminate the obvious.
With a meter or test light.(test light's easier)Check for power at the relays.Or power at the leads to the motor.

RRitt

Captain

I just love test lights,some much can be learned if you have one(I have 4 maybe 5 :0 )Shiny NEW ones are best!!! :)
Or get a voltage meter. Or a test light will tell you if you have voltage.
The motor does nothing if the power is supplied direct to the green/blue leads???
Then you probably need the electric motor part repaired.
You need to eliminate the obvious.
With a meter or test light.(test light's easier)Check for power at the relays.Or power at the leads to the motor.

he is probably not grounding the other wire. 1994 was all 2w trim motors.

res0n0xg

Cadet

Yes, it's a 2 wire setup, so please tell me how to ground the other wire? I really am new at this...I can get a test light but for future reference it would be good to know how to hot wire it directly. I simply took a wire, connected one lead to the pos battery terminal, then to one of the trim motor leads, then took another wire and tried two things, connecting it directly to the neg terminal, then also just grounding it to the motor itself.

RRitt

Captain

Yes, it's a 2 wire setup, so please tell me how to ground the other wire? I really am new at this...I can get a test light but for future reference it would be good to know how to hot wire it directly. I simply took a wire, connected one lead to the pos battery terminal, then to one of the trim motor leads, then took another wire and tried two things, connecting it directly to the neg terminal, then also just grounding it to the motor itself.

if you can't figure this one out on your own, then either a) you really shouldn't be working on the trim system - or - b) you should go buy a manual.

res0n0xg

Cadet

I did get a manual and for a 2wire it states as follows. connect the pump motor blue wire to the battery pos terminal and the green wire to the battery neg terminal. The motor should start to operate in one direction, then reverse the two and the motor should operate in the other direction.

That's what I did. Sorry if I haven't been around boats my entire life and/or had someone teach me everything they know. it's my first boat and I'd rather learn the basics than paying someone far too much and learn nothing.

So, am I doing it wrong? It seems straight forward to me, but you appear to think I'm doing something wrong, I'd appreciate input, not things that don't help me in any way.

RRitt

Captain

what happened and what did the manual say about it?

res0n0xg

Cadet

nothing happened either way, I just wondered if I'm missing something and that's why the motor isn't spinning but I'm sure it could be something inside the motor that went out.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If you're connecting one of the wires from the motor to the + side of the battery and the other wire from the motor to the - side of the battery and nothing happens, then your motor is bad.

RRitt

Captain

if you had the motor "hot wired" and nothing happened then the motor is bad. It is possible that the pump is seized but that is rare. However, if the pump was working fine last fall and all you did was store it for winter, then it is also fairly rare that it would go completely dead without any external signs of rust. The trim motors used in 1994 almost always roar from spun top bearings for a season or two before they quit working. They also tend to struggle lifting before going bad. If your motor actually was working perfectly without roar or weakness then a wiring problem is more likely than a bad motor. - - - - double check that hot wiring and make sure that you got it right. if the motor is toast then your part # is 824051. they run about $160-$250. Chinese last 5-8 years and original last 10-15.