1989 FORCE 50 hp SQUIRTS FUEL AROUND CARBURETOR AT HIGH IDLE

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 force 50 hp : Squirts fuel at high idles and when brought back to neutral it shakes and shuts off.

After it shuts off i try to re start it and after several tries there is a fuse (15) that burns under the helms control panel.

Carburetor has been adjusted to specks - close all the way and bring back one full turn.

After i adjusted the motor shakes and dies when i put the motor cover on it.

I eventually adjusted one full turn back minus just a bit so it could idle a bit faster and then when i put the cover it stayed a bit shaky but ok.

My question is- is it normal for the carb to squirt fuel from the lower back and from the side little pin heads and from the bottom of the front of the carb at the little fuel holder thing?

The plunger seems to build a bit of a film around the little plunger it self - is that normal?

The little metal hose clamps keep coming lose - can i or should i use lock tight on it?

Please let me know if i should just rebuild the carb and ho to do it and how to order the kit and what comes on the kit???50 HP Force outboard 20130209_110554.jpg50 HP Force outboard 20130209_110257.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 FORCE 50 hp SQUIRTS FUEL AROUND CARBURETOR AT HIGH IDLE

Exhaust leak is a common cause for the motor to die when you put the cover on.

The carburetor should not be squirting fuel from anywhere at any speed. If you have a primer bulb, it should get firm after 4 or 5 squeezes. If not, the needle valve is not closing. Could be a bad needle valve, crud between the needle valve and seat, or float level set too high.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!!!! I do have an exhaust leak. The exhaust gasket. It leaks warm water bellow the spark plugs area and on the port side by the cowling screw it smokes and squirts cold water. Primer bulb gets hard it's ok I assume.
The carburator does leak from bottom of bowl and squirts from sides I think it's called the plugs and squirts at rear bottom where it meets the engine block maybe the gasket.
With my exhaust gasket being bad and peaces of that keep coming out - would that cause my engine to bogg out? And could it be a combination of that an the carb needing a rebuild? Should I buy the repair kit it the gasket kit?
Also the other day when I went to the lake I was told by the ranger that that specific lake alled Silverwood lake it's over 35000 feet high and may affect my carb. That day I has my external fuel tank half way full so I added 8 Oz. of oil and 3 gallons of gas and forgot to shake and mix. That I was told would also help bogg out. So what do I do???????

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The exhaust leak will cause the motor to run poorly. The engine does not like to suck exhaust fumes. Not 100% sure about your motor, but I think you might have to take the power head off of the leg to replace the gasket. In looking around on line, it appears that the gasket is no longer available. Looks like you might have to use some silicone RTV. I would recommend Permatex Ultra Gray.

If the primer bulb gets firm then it sounds like the carburetor fuel bowl gasket might be leaking. #15 in the diagram below. It's made out of cork material and is easily damaged from over tightening. Also there should be a two washer type gaskets that seal the bolt that secures the bowl to the bottom of the carburetor. #'s 14 and 16 in the diagram below. One inside the bowl there the bolt passes through the hole, and one the outside of the bowl under the head of the bolt. You can purchase these separately or they usually come in a rebuild kit.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - CARBURETOR - FORCE 1989 50 H.P. "A" MODELS

Found a site that shows that they do stock the exhaust gasket kit. Item #1 in the diagram below. It shows as the same part number as the one for the 50HP motor. I would call them to make sure they've got it in stock.

RACE OUTBOARD 1989 35 Motor Leg Parts

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PNWBOAT - you are amazing! I so thank very much. I would like to change as much as I could on the carburator. Because I ran the boat in the lake with no motor lid and at slow speeds it did ok then I have it full throttle ad it only did 10 mph.

I discovered the fuel line to te carburator was lose at the little hose clamp. I will change all hose clamps to pressure rings what ever the real name is.

I did not want to bother changing the exhaust gasket cu in so fed up after working on it for 4 months. But I know I need to for several reasons .

Should I buy the gasket kit and the repair kit???