1969 Chrysler 45 hp Fueling Issues

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice
I'm another proud owner of a 1970 Chrysler Sport Satellite with a 1969 Chrysler 45 hp Model 4575 Serial 1913. Motor is doing good I have great compression 120 + both cyl. I confirmed a good impeller, changed LU oil, etc. Here is my question I ran in a barrel after cleaning carb for quite some time. Was idling great the whole nine yards. Got to lake and she gave me issues. So I swapped plugs cause my at home mix of fuel was way rich. I changed the tank to fuel pump lines out between barrel and lake and reversed my bulb. So I caught that at lake and got her straightened around. At the lake I was having to choke it 3/4 to even get her to run. She wasn't real stable either although I was hand choking due to my choke solenoid is dead and disconnected. Either way I came home and dug into the fuel pump. So I need to confirm that 18-7806 will work on my fuel pump. I have the old style "detached" with glass bowl. I also noticed that kit doesn't have that gasket for the glass bowl. Cut my own or any ideas? Check valves are good and I confirmed prior to my reversing bulb that I was getting fuel to carb, obviously it ran great. The diaphragm isn't leaking just seems stretched. Also is this carb number correct as well 18-7037? The carb seemed fine and has a black non metal float and was operating properly when I blew through it with a breath of air pressure against it. I did notice the air screw looks as though it should have a little oring on it. Mine doesn't.

As I sit here writing this I think about how I screwed down the tank vent after the gas station on the way to lake and I wonder if this may have been my whole issue. But it seems like I would have at least collapsed the bulb as vacuum was created. Not to mention I would have at least been able to idle out a minute or two. Last I have noticed that I can get gas to come back through carb mouth if I place my hand over the mouth but this seems normal due to the amount of suction pulling it straight through the bowl.

Spark is good also .

Also does anyone know if Napa still possibly carries the carb and fuel kits?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Chrysler 45 hp Fueling Issues

The pump with site bowl.I think you might be able to remove the bowl if you cant find the gasket.
Install a filter between the pump and carb.
Pics of the carb?
No idle or poor idle.The carb has a low speed jet that gets clogged and needs to be cleaned.
It could be small holes in the base screw or holes in the pickup tube.
The inital setting on the air screw is 1 turn out from "lightly"seated.
I think the older air screws had a fiber/felt seal/gasket on it,Again pics?

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

The pump with site bowl.I think you might be able to remove the bowl if you cant find the gasket.
Install a filter between the pump and carb.
Pics of the carb?
No idle or poor idle.The carb has a low speed jet that gets clogged and needs to be cleaned.
It could be small holes in the base screw or holes in the pickup tube.
The inital setting on the air screw is 1 turn out from "lightly"seated.
I think the older air screws had a fiber/felt seal/gasket on it,Again pics?

Well good news I cut my own gasket for the clear fuel bowl and triple checked fuel system for air entrance problems. Finally I removed the air screw and did a small polishing job on the end of the needle "it did have a small groove" and then I also wrapped the threads with white teflon tape. Wholla it idles perfect. So I will spend the $10 bucks for a lake trip test again today. I'm still going to pick up a diaphragm only for my fuel pump just cause but I think this is going to be a success! I'll update later. Thanks

mculpii

Seaman Apprentice

So we had a successful lake trip with one exception. My shift linkage is pretty loose where it mounts on the engine and someone has welded the head of the bolt so I don't believe I can get it off without undoing there rig job. So I just disconnected my shift cable and put it into gear manually to insure it was in forward all the way. Away we went with full throttle control just no changing from f-n-r.