1983 15 hp chrysler carb problem???

rlw6774

Cadet
Ok folks can anyone help me out? I think i got shafted, i bought a 1983 15 hp chrysler short shaft outboard 2 days ago. The guy i bought it from said it "runs as new" He fired it up 2-3 pulls showed me it ran had lots of power idled good, shifted well forward & reverse... so i bought it.... 400 bucks ok i layed in my truck on a dropcloth very carefully brought it home put it on my boat, got it down to the water this morning fired right up ran good, Except for when i lower the speed, gas comes out the front of the carb & it shuts off... everytime. called my local boat mechanic he said it could just be the carb or it could be major? Took the carb off cleaned it well with carb cleaner, put it back on now it wont fire unless i squirt a little carb cleaner in it, its like it isnt getting any gas at all now? also, i'm gonna go buy new plugs looks like it needs some anyone know the gap setting? please any input would be appreciated! Thanks Rob

rlw6774

Cadet
Re: 1983 15 hp chrysler carb problem???

I just took the carb back off & i don't think the float is adjusted right, & when i turned the carb right side up found me a gas pee coming out of the float, pin hole in the float, float full of gas, so hopefully this is the problem.... Rob

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Drain the float well and after a couple of days solder the pinhole closed. Adjust the float so that with the carb upside-down, the float is level with the carb casting. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

And no, you didn't get shafted.

rlw6774

Cadet

hey hey hey it worked! soldered the pin hole adjusted the float & shes up & runnin again! Ok now i have a couple more questions lol there is one adjustment screw on the carb, where should that be? screw it all the way in then how many turns out? & what is that for? also, i'm running it in a barrel & i'm noticing a little oil floating on top of the water. is this normal? when i stop the motor the only place that i can see where it is coming from is the top pee hole on the lower unit, not much but you can tell its coming from there... is this a problem? & i was told to mix oil 50:1 in the gas...is this the correct amount? any input would be appreciated! Thanks again, Rob