Cooling problem on a 55 Hp 1974 Chrysler Alternator

catavar

Recruit
Hi fellows, I'm a entusiast fisherman and use a 1974 55 Hp Chrysler engine.

Got a cooling problem and need your kindly support!!!!!

Not enough water is being circulated in the system and the witness in the engine exhaust spitting poor water. Engine has no thermostat as it does not need it, the climate is always mild and is used in fresh water.

I already change the impeller, new head gasket (bolts torque at 28 lbs with locktite), new gasket for lower unit, new water pump gasket and new hose (from exhaust to head).

I down the lower unit and put the garden hose in to the copper tube, passed water to ensure the system is not blocked. The water flows nice, no problem.... then????? :facepalm:

Any suggestions?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Cooling problem on a 55 Hp 1974 Chrysler Alternator

Does the engine head get too hot to touch?

wickware

Lieutenant

Are you testing deep in 55 gal barrel or in the lake vs muffs or less water? My 35 hp Chrysler almost threw me by not pumping since 1984-85. Then I remembered I was 2? higher stored on jack stands. I added 2X4s or 4X4s under the barrel and got water as always.

Next, I installed the Tell Tale to see the cooling water easier out the side. The Plus Is, It is solid water vs a spit. Your 55 and my 35 could be the same except for 55 vs 35 stroke, bore, etc if you do not have two carbs. See Attachments:

Attachments

• A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 0

catavar

Recruit

Does the engine head get too hot to touch?

Foodfisher: Thanks for your question.
The engine head is warm, BUT, the water flow is only a spiting, not a continues water flow (as a normal outboard hahahaha), and if you try to go WOT, forget it!!! the water flow stops and the head is really hot.

Wickware: Also, thanks for your suggestion...I'll do it :joyous:

For more information: I test it in a barrel and the water level in the barrel almost is on the exhaust line, means, enought deep on the water in the barrel, same situation in the lake. Now, as I told you lines up, if I try to go WOT, after a seconds the engine don't pull water and the alarm shutdowm the motor. Of course, I really hate that!!!!!:mad: only can go in ralenti...

Any suggestions noted with thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Did you put back the drive pin for the impeller?

catavar

Recruit

Did you put back the drive pin for the impeller?

Hi Frank.
Yes, everything is well sited, sealed and in correct position, even, I got the maintenance manual and follow step by step to avoid do it wrong

The unique thing I guess it's happening is as follows:
It's possible that the driveshaft has a gap and do not engage the drive pin at high revolutions? Because the impeller works reasonably well at low revolutions (trolling speed)....

Any advice, receive it with thanks...:joyous: