1987 Force 50 hp leaking fuel out exhaust and drain hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwentz

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1987 force that has had a lot of issues in the past few years. I started the motor up 2 weeks ago and noticed a lot of gas running down the lower unit out of a small hole behind one of the lower unit bolts. It was also running out of the exhaust port above the propeller. After running the engine, I removed both of the spark plugs and saw the top cylinder plug was completely clean and had fuel inside. The bottom plug was burning chocolate like it is supposed to. If the cylinder is not firing, could this cause the piston to push out unburned fuel? The carberator is fine as well as compression. Both plugs also have equal spark. Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing this? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1987 Force 50 hp leaking fuel out exhaust and drain hole.

Ans's. ?#1, yes. Equal spark is questionable. Completely clean plug is one that is not burning or has water intrusion. Hopefully electrical guys will assist.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

check.jpg
What's the compression #s?
A clean plug is not good. Switch it around and see if it cleans the other.
Like food says a clean plug is getting water or not getting gas?
I had a head gasket go bad. Still had 145# of comp but had water intrusion.
There is a spark checker that mesures the strength of the spark.
Check the fuel pump diaphram. It can cause the excess fuel running out.
Fill out the profile,location?? You might be close to someone who can help?

bwentz

Cadet

The compression numbers are both at 140. I did try switching the plugs and it did clean it off. I will check the diaphram later today, as well as the spark test if i can get my hands on a tester. Thanks for the feedback.

bwentz

Cadet

I pulled the diaphram and sure enough there was a tear in it, about an inch long. Is this all or just part of my problem?

foodfisher

Captain

Probably part. Fix that and we'll go from there.

bwentz

Cadet

ok, so i just installed the new diaphram and head gasket. I ran the motor and it didnt seem to fix my problem. the top cylinder still is not firing correctly, and gas is still running out the drain hole. there are times when the top cylinder will kick in, but after a few seconds, its back to 1 cylinder. I am hoping it is not the cdi box because that is expensive to fix.

Elandy

Recruit
Bwentz,

Were you able to fix this issue? I’m having the exact same issue with my force. I also checked the spark plugs and it’s exactly the same, one is dirty and the other one still looks brand new.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.