88 50hp force not sure if water pump is workin

newpontoonie

Cadet
I just replace the water pump on my 1988 force 50 hp and I put the water muffs on it turn on the hose and I can't tell if water is actually pumping or not. This is a new motor to me and I have limited experience with outboards. Does the water actually spit out the exhaust or the lower unit. Is it possible I installed the impeller backwards meaning the splines or finger are bent in the wrong position?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 88 50hp force not sure if water pump is workin

The hose won't push water past the impeller. The engine has to "pump" the water through the engine. To be sure that is happening, install a telltale.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Tach and stuff 001.jpgTach and stuff 002.jpg

The muffs are the one the 50 needs.
The impeller can't be put in wrong. It will orient itself as soon as you crank it.
If you don't have the right muffs you need to put it in a deep bucket.
90% of the water should come out the snout under the cavitation plate.
The biggest mistake is not aligning the copper tube and the water pump inlet.
Fill out the profile,location. You might be close to some one who can help.

newpontoonie

Cadet

The hose won't push water past the impeller. The engine has to "pump" the water through the engine. To be sure that is happening, install a telltale.

I have installed a telltale this afternoon and exhaust seems to come out of it no water though. I took the lower end off again blew air through the brass tube and I can feel a really strong force of air coming out of the tell tale so I know it is not clogged,impeller seems like it is operating as I could see a small black ring on the new plate installed yesterday. Any other suggestions?

newpontoonie

Cadet

I did forget to mention that I did put the motor in a large bucket of water to be sure that it was not the muffs

foodfisher

Captain

Did you install the key with the impeller? The water pump/pumps directly to the thermostat where the telltale is originated. Exhaust doesn't come into play until after the engine cooling, so exhaust out the telltale has got me stumped. Was the telltale installed correctly? Are you sure? Me and jack daniels are tempted to rename you cartoonies.:rolleyes:

newpontoonie

Cadet

Did you install the key with the impeller? The water pump/pumps directly to the thermostat where the telltale is originated. Exhaust doesn't come into play until after the engine cooling, so exhaust out the telltale has got me stumped. Was the telltale installed correctly? Are you sure? Me and jack daniels are tempted to rename you cartoonies.:rolleyes:

I think I did it correctly there was a short screw just in front of the thermostat housing I removed it installed a hose barb fitting and pushed a tube on it. When I blow air through the brass tube the pump housing connects to air flows rite out I did install the new key provided with the kit and I set the impeller on it then put the housing on top turned counterclockwise to fit housing over the impeller then pushed the shaft into the lower end when I pulled it out after the first time it looked like it was in fine as well. The motor fires rite up and idles perfectly just no water pumping. I'm at a loss here.

wickware

Lieutenant

I do not notice any exhaust (solid water) out my 1970 35 hp Chrysler?s Tell Tale. Yours could be a different sys. Deep in the 55 gal barrel has works well since the 80s. Except, recently I was 2? higher (on jack stands) and it d/n work for the first time until I raised the barrel.

Attachments

• A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Clear Tell Tale.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like Wick says deep in the bucket, you need to be at least 3" over the cavitation plate.
Yesterday I fixed a friends outboard(new imp,gasket)
We live right on the Indian River in Fl.
He comes running up and says you DIDN"T fix it.I said good cause you aint paid yet!!
So we walk to the river and he's got the motor on the transom and it's floating with cavitation plate just in the water.
I say it's got to go deeper.He sets on it and it sticks in the sand.He says it won't go deeper.(not the sharpest knife)
We turn the boat around and it finaly goes in deep enough.Start it up and it's pumping like a firehose!!!
It HAS to go over the cavitation plate and deep enough so the water covers the top of the pump.