73 105hp chrysler wont get spark

bubb19813

Recruit
I am trying to help my father in law to get his 105 horse Chrysler to start they were going down the river and it just died. We replaced the cd unit because we had no power past that. We bought a cd with coil off a 75 horse that was running we replaced the end of the wire that runs to the points and we cleaned the points. I am not sure if the points are at the right setting of.010 and am not sure how to adjust them if they are out of adjustment. please help me help my father in law

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 105hp chrysler wont get spark

Points need to be set at --damn, I forget! 2 cylinders are .020, 3 cylinders are .018 and 4 cylinders are .014. ---I think. been so long I would need to look it up.

The CD unit needs two sources of power: Red connected constantly to the battery through the engine terminal board, and Blue connected through the terminal board to the ignition switch. The coil mounted on the CD box needs to be grounded to the distributor mount.

It is way easier to set points with the distributor removed from the engine. Set the engine to top dead center before removing the distributor so you have a reference point when attaching it. See the sticky on synchronizing timing and carbs.

Points are set on any high lobe of the cam. There are two screws holding the points: Loosen both and use a wide-bladed screwdriver between the cast posts and the slot in the points frame to adjust

wickware

Lieutenant

Per Clymer Manual: ?All? points under the fly on a breaker plate = .020, Dist 3 cyl = .014 and Dist 4 cyl = 0.010. Please verify the info and I am looking in the manual ?Frank?! LOL

I would ohm/continuity test the points even if they look good or dress lightly with Fine Fine Emory and lint free Etc..

bubb19813

Recruit

well I thought I would thank both of you for your help. we actually figure it out and it was the stupidest simplest thing.:facepalm: please don't laugh but we took the contact out and one of the set screws was stripped out so we were able to put a longer screw in and reset it the point and it fired right up. now we just have to figure out why the choke doesn't want to engage. when we push the key in to choke it can be done manually but not with switch any ideas would sure help we are going to try the ignition out of my boat tomorrow

wickware

Lieutenant

Run 12V directly to the choke (from your Batt to see if that activates the choke. That will let you know if you are getting the 12V from the switch when pressing it.

I d/n have an active choke this season after a solid year of storage. During the process of trying it started working. I?ll guess it was the contacts in the switch that caused me to almost replace a switch once until I thought to spray TV tuner spray in the switch (while installed). I feel my tarped boat is dealing with condensation matters while tarper in the North, TX 100 degree + weather (causing contact problems).