chrysler 75 hp headache or fun in the sun

ethollis85

Cadet
I have recently purchased a 4winds boat with a chrysler 75hp outboard. I asked the guy I work with for his boat guys number becase i knew that he was happy with the work he had done on his boat in the past, but to my surprise the boat guy said not to even bother with it. So i said well i am kinda handy i will go it on my own. The motor is spotless there was a small mouse nest in it and a few wires were damaged I am an electrictian so no biggy there- problem fixed. Now the problems begin new battery checked spark plugs I plan to change to new but different problem. the starter does not seem to have the power to crank the engine. So i found this site with the general theme to get a new starter. so I set out to find a new one but got to the next problem what year is your outboard? So i started to search for the and I came up with these two numbers k986459 which was located on the block and 449544-2 which was located on the motor mounting bracket on the transmission on the boat. the numbers on the starter are 616955 1 28 83.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: chrysler 75 hp headache or fun in the sun

Numbers don't matter: The same starter was used on all 3 and 4 cylinder engines from Chrysler to Force until the Force line of engines was discontinued. So, if you really do need a starter buy one on the auctions or spend more and buy one here or at a Mercury dealer.

Typically, the brushes wear out and the commutator gets dirty so your starter should be able to be cleaned and rebuilt unless the commutator has lost segments, the armature windings have broken, or any windings have overheated and melted the insulation.

Original Chrysler starters had separate field windings with the high torque starters using four fields versus two on the regular starters. Later models used permanent magnets as the fields and work just as well.

Wound field motors can be identified by two or four large screws on the side of the frame. They hold the iron cores in place.

ethollis85

Cadet

Numbers don't matter: The same starter was used on all 3 and 4 cylinder engines from Chrysler to Force until the Force line of engines was discontinued. So, if you really do need a starter buy one on the auctions or spend more and buy one here or at a Mercury dealer.

Typically, the brushes wear out and the commutator gets dirty so your starter should be able to be cleaned and rebuilt unless the commutator has lost segments, the armature windings have broken, or any windings have overheated and melted the insulation.

Original Chrysler starters had separate field windings with the high torque starters using four fields versus two on the regular starters. Later models used permanent magnets as the fields and work just as well.

Wound field motors can be identified by two or four large screws on the side of the frame. They hold the iron cores in place.

i have taken starter apart the magnet had a few hips in it but the brushes looked good the starter was fevery hot after just a few trys to start so probly just replase any other things that i shold look at on this motor

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Do a compression/spark test as soon as you can.
If the starters good? And the battery's good.Then the connections all need to be checked.
Check the old battery leads for weak spots and corrosion.
Remove the plugs and see if it turns over easier.
Low comp on 1 cylinder will make for hard starting/turning over.
A hot starter usually means a bad connection?

ethollis85

Cadet

what should the compresion be on eah cilinder

ethollis85

Cadet

Well checking back in I have 90 on top and bottom cylindars and only 30 on center, again not a mechanic but how do I go about fixing this issue?

ethollis85

Cadet

also still trying to find a serial number or year no motor for parts i know i sound like a needy nedy but i am just trying to get my dream of having a boat a float.

ethollis85

Cadet

finally i have done some hard looking along with my reluctant wife and found that the boat is a 1983 with the sn 758h3f so know i am waiting for suggestions on the compression issue.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The low comp on #2 could be a bad head gasket???(if your lucky)
Or a bad piston and a scored cylinder?
You need to remove the head and check for damages.

Fill out your profile? Location? You might be close to someone who can help??

ethollis85

Cadet

sorry i am in the thumb of michgan. so later today after mothers day stuff i will be taking head off to inspect i plane on replacing gasket hopfully no scaring or holes in piston but back to gasket i have had a little truble finding a mach for the year and hp of my boat 1984 75hp. doese anyone have like a shure fire place that would have the part or parts i need. and would this be the mojor reason i cant get it to even try to fire up

ethollis85

Cadet

so head gasket was brand new damn there is a small chip on the outside of the piston. Whould a new ring fix that or and i up **** creek with a 75 hp boat ancaor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes these engines break the top ring and it ruins the piston. If your piston has a chip or gouge in the top perimeter, near the exhaust ports, then this is likely what happened. However, if the cylinder is not scored, a simple piston replacement can be done. cost: about 125 in parts

post a couple of photos so we can evaluate condition

ethollis85

Cadet

yea frank i have been looking at the kits is this an modartly simmple change or a big task is there somewere i could get some step by setp directions

ethollis85

Cadet

Well I have been swamped at work but I see I have not missed much action any advice on my last post