1996 mercury force 40hp gauges not working

rpauct

Recruit
i had someone steal my battery and they cut the cables where they were together i replaced the ends and hooked up a new battery the starter just spun and wouldn't engage so i had it rebuilt, still the same thing also the gauges would not work when i turned the key on, i replaced the 20 amp fuse on the motor but no change any help would be appreaciated.
Ron

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1996 mercury force 40hp gauges not working

The bendex gear may be stuck. I've had it happen to me on a few occasions. A gentle tap with wrench fixed it right up. Afterwards, squirted a very small amount of oil on the shaft where the gear rides up and down and it's been fine ever since.

Also be aware that if the starter is not spinning fast enough due to low battery or bad battery connections, you'll see the same symptoms.

As far as the gauges, either a broken ground or hot wire. Blown inline fuse by the battery? Check for a small ground or red wire by the battery that may not be connected.

rpauct

Recruit
Re: 1996 mercury force 40hp gauges not working

Checked all the fuses and had the starter rebuilt if i hook it up straight to the battery it works fine. so it is not the starter it has to be somewhere in all the wiring, selinoid or something i just don't know where to look. thanks ron