changed the primer bulb - line is 1/4"

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i fired up the boat ('86 Force 125) the other day and the primer bulb was all cracked...so I picked up one at the local marine place for 22.00 - I was thinking 5-10 bucks. Wow I thought that was high, and the lady explained about EPA regulation on new ones. Hate how the EPA does stupid stuff like that.

anyhow, I noticed my line is 1/4" but I put on a 5/16 bulb with a little coaxing.

Is 1/4 the factory size line ? - looked like a match at the tank but a little small at bulb and at the fuel pump.

and how old can a line be ? - it's looks fine but is the black version. The piece going from the bulb to the fuel pump is dated 2006. The line from the tank to the bulb says 2010. .

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: changed the primer bulb - line is 1/4"

Typically the larger engines us a 5/16 ID fuel line. However, If the engine is not running lean on fuel and going flat, the 14 inch line will work. Fuel line has no expiration date but alcohol will harden it. If the line is still flexible, it is most likely still useable.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not familiar with the NEW EPA type primer bulbs, what did they do to them? Or I should say, what did the EPA make the manufacturers do to them...? Being a closed circuit, I can't imagine what they forced the manufacturers to do...

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

Not familiar with the NEW EPA type primer bulbs, what did they do to them? Or I should say, what did the EPA make the manufacturers do to them...? Being a closed circuit, I can't imagine what they forced the manufacturers to do...

i think they are double layer now so that there is no "evaporation" - seems stupid to me b/c I'm sure I waste more gas at the pump, not to mention how much is lost when running on a inefficient engine.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

Typically the larger engines us a 5/16 ID fuel line. However, If the engine is not running lean on fuel and going flat, the 14 inch line will work. Fuel line has no expiration date but alcohol will harden it. If the line is still flexible, it is most likely still useable.

Thanks Frank - i might change the line later this year - can i get 5/16 gray hose at autozone and will that work or should I be looking at the marine places ? Will it help my top end any ? with my new 15 pitch prop I can get up to 5200 RPM now.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If the engine is not starving for fuel now, a larger diameter hose will not improve the top speed. It may be overkill, but I use 3/8 ID fuel line on all my big engines. It is difficult to get through the stock hole in the cowling though. And really, given that the inlet holes in the carbs are less than 1/16 diameter, if you are using six feet or less hose, 1/4 inch ID will probably be more than sufficient.

Quite frankly, I have not purchased fuel line for a number of years so I can not tell you the best places to buy it.

gregmsr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just replaced my fuel line for a 125hp. It was hard as a rock (well not quite) so it had to go. It had 3/16", yes, 3/16" ID line and I never had any problems with that. But, I went with 1/4" ID for the new stuff (West Marine Type A1 @ $3.90 ft). And yes, the 1/4" also is a little snug thru the cowl but it will go.