Chrysler ignition switch wiring

srukke

Seaman
Just bought a 1977 Chrysler 55hp Magnapower II and I apparently need to replace the ignition switch that came with it. There is no key, it won't shut the motor off after it's started either and unless it's turned off after starting only 1 cylinder fires. I didn't wire it, it's the way it came so it may be mis-wired also.
I need push to choke and there is a sticker on the block that says to wire it the same as a magneto ignition. I notice that there's no white wire, the schematics I've seen use it as an ignition ground, maybe this is why it wouldn't shut the engine off?? DSC_7996 (Large).jpgDSC_8006 (Large).jpgDSC_8010 (Large).jpgDSC_8011 (Large).jpg

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Chrysler ignition switch wiring

I can send an attachment as your 1st of the wiring diag on the side on a 1970 35 hp Magneto sys (later today if requested if that will help).

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler ignition switch wiring

White and blue are the stop circuit wires. White connects to one "M" terminal and Blue connects to the other "M" terminal. If either is not connected, the engine will not stop running. In a pinch, you can jump white to blue on the engine terminal board to stop the engine.

Whie comes from the capacitors and blue is jumped to ground. When the ignition switch is turned off, the two "M" terminals are in continuity and white goes to ground through blue, shorting capacitors and preventing spark.

The wiring on the engine terminal board look correct.

I can not tell from the photo, but at the ignition switch Blue attaches to one "M", White attaches to the other "M", red attaches to "B", Green attaches to "C", and yellow attaches to "S". "I" is a source od switched power for gauges and such. Purple is tachometer signal. Orange is overheat, and black is ground. None of these wires attach to the ignition switch.