Need help wiring a 1976 Chrysler 55hp

srukke

Seaman
I have a 1976 55hp Chrysler that I want to start off the boat and with no ignition switch or controls hooked up. The starter cables are attached and it turns over. I need to hook up the battery to the terminal block and probably jump a couple terminals to start it. Any idea on how to do this. The wires are all color coded as follows: Yellow, Purple, White, Green, Orange, Red, Blue, Black
I can't quite make out the labeling of the terminal block wiring on the engine so I need some assistance. Thanks in advance.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Need help wiring a 1976 Chrysler 55hp

This should be the wiring info you need. It is off a 1970, 35 HP Chrysler but should be the same color coding. Then you will short or Jump your starter?s solenoid to crank the engine.

Please wait until someone verifies my info is correct toward helping you.

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System (6).JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler Mag Ignition System (6).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 2

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

We need more information! Wiring depends upon whether or not it is MAGNETO, BATTERY and POINTS, or MAGNA-POWER II ignition.

A photo would be very helpful as well as a description of the engine.

wickware

Lieutenant

My 35hp might be in the series with your 55hp if both of us have Magneto ignition sys and both of us have one carb. I?ll attach a pics to better compare engines. As Frank said, he needs more info to know your system to give you the best help.

Attachments

• 1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (4).JPG
    1970 35HP Chrysler F N R Linkage Shared (4).JPG
    105 KB · Views: 2
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 2

srukke

Seaman

It's not Magna Power. My question is what terminals to jump for the ignition that I do not have and which ones to hook + and - bat terminals to. I can already turn the engine over, just need to know what to jump to energize the ignition.

wickware

Lieutenant

With a Magneto sys as with your lawnmower you d/n need a battery to get fire. Do you have a manual showing how you ignition sys work?

1. If the neutral switch is not depressed (a box in the linkage) you w/n get fire if it?s in your circuit (grounded).
2. Will your plugs fire out of the cyls grounded when you crank the engine?
3. Good pics will help ID what you have and maybe what is happening.

srukke

Seaman

Here are pics from the motor. There's nothing really happening with it. I just want to start it on a sawhorse and not on the boat. Not sure what all I need to do. I have turned it over and done a compression test. It should run, I just wasn't sure what else I need to hook the battery up to and I couldn't read the terminal block very well and even if I could I need to know what I would need to do to make sure I can shut it off once it's running. I appreciate the help. DSC_7876.jpgDSC_7878.jpgDSC_7879.jpgDSC_7883.jpgDSC_7884.jpg

Nordin

Commander

Srukke you have a engine with battery ign.system. It works as oldschool automotive ign.system without a distributer.
There are two sets of points and capacitors under the flywheel. You have to feed the ign.coils with 12V from a battery.

You have the wiring diagram at maxrules.com. Go to technical specifications/common wiring diagrams/Chrysler-Force wiring diagrams/Chrysler 35-55Hp batteryign. with alternator ....... and there you have the wiring.

wickware

Lieutenant

A very good example as to why Pics Help! Do not let the Monster wear you down on the saw horse if it?s ready to be installed.

What type of cooling water system are you using to get cooling water and protect you impeller while cranking?? If I missed etc. excuse my question.

Good Luck!

wickware

Lieutenant

I tried to see the carb or carbs and closer look at the leg to see if your 76 55hp is kin to my 70 35hp. The colors are saying they are No Kin. LOL!

srukke

Seaman

I have the single carb off for cleaning and this has definitely been repainted red on the inside and dark dark gray on the outside.

srukke

Seaman

I have the single carb off for cleaning and this has definitely been repainted red on the inside and dark dark gray on the outside. OK, so we know it's batter ignition w/alternator. I will have it in a barrel of water. So do I already have the battery hooked up as shown in the photo. And I can jump the yellow to pos and it turns over. Do I need to jump a couple terminals to simulate the ignition switch. As others mentioned do I need to disconnect anything on the rectifier so that I don't burn anything up.

wickware

Lieutenant

Your Batt ignition sys is above my Magneto sys. As I said I do not need 12v with my Mag sys which fires when I spin the fly with the started or pull with a rope (with the neutral switch pressed allowing fire). Nor will my sys charge the Batt vs me charging with a Batt charger every 5-6 fishing trips. I like the simple sys for my little use.

I know our engines are not kin related to Batt vs Mag ignition and Alt charging sys (with my coils under the fly which means more wires and colors on your engine). I feel someone with the experience will help you soon.

catavar

Recruit

I have a 1976 55hp Chrysler that I want to start off the boat and with no ignition switch or controls hooked up. The starter cables are attached and it turns over. I need to hook up the battery to the terminal block and probably jump a couple terminals to start it. Any idea on how to do this. The wires are all color coded as follows: Yellow, Purple, White, Green, Orange, Red, Blue, Black
I can't quite make out the labeling of the terminal block wiring on the engine so I need some assistance. Thanks in advance.

See enclosed images, hope help you to startup your motor...

Chry55_82_84.jpgCHRY35_55_BattAlt.jpgChry55_65Mag2.jpgChry55_80_81.jpg