chrysler 15 hp outboard

mypartsplus

Recruit
I have a 15 hp chrysler outboard and it runs great BUT i am used to large engines and when i hook up the flush hose you can see them pee. The impellor in this 15 is in great shape but there is no visible signs that it pumps water that i can see. It does not seem to be overheating but I thought Id ask before I burn it up

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: chrysler 15 hp outboard

There are numerous threads about retro-fitting a pisser if that would make you feel more comfortable.

The Chrysler engines never came with an indicator. The cooling water exits through the back of the engine through two holes below the cowl. On these small engines I am not certain whether or not some cooling water exits through the exhaust snout. If you dribble water on the head and block and it does not boil off, the engine is not overheating.

Nordin

Commander

This small Chryslerengines 4,4Hp up to 15Hp (lowprofile hoods) have the same idle relife/exhaust holes (nose) as the larger engines at the back legcover.
But on these powerheads/blocks there are no plug or screew to add a "pisser" as the larger has.
At idle/low RPMs it should spitt or flow some water from the holes/nose, higher up in RPMs it would flow, but not as a pisser with a high intensive stream.

If you can touch it with your hands and not burn then it is okey.

fishrdan

Admiral

My 7.5 HP Gamefisher/Force is pretty close to your 15HP Chrysler. If I'm wondering how the waterpump is doing I'll reach behind the motor and cup my hand behind the idle relief holes, to see if water gets sprayed on my hand. It won't put out a stream of water, but mists it out, heavy droplets.