Chrysler 55 HP Condenser Issue

jmulz824

Seaman
I got a 55 HP Chrysley, If I remember right it's a 1969. I've heard these things burn thru condensers like crazy and mine seems to do the same. Is there a reason why and what can be done (if any) to help fix this. I don't remember the last part number I bought and put in, (some napa one) they seemed to give a lil more power than the other ones I used before.

Any ideas? And please don't say the stator is burning them out........hahaha

Jeff

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chrysler 55 HP Condenser Issue

My twin 55hp's had the same steady diet for a while. I finally found a few things that seem to help....

1. NAPA part# is FM200, $12-$13 bucks each

2. Either epoxy them into the clamp, or use a a thin strip of rubber (bicycle tire tube) to line the clamp.

3. Locktite on the clamp mounting screw.

Every one that has been consumed by my motors has come loose from the mount, or the lead coming out of it breaks. Hope that helps.

wickware

Lieutenant

I fell using the designed condenser to specs is the key vs any condenser. A 68 VW taught me this when I felt any condenser sold as the part works. Trying to beat the Dealer?s price I went low and it was almost a yearly deal (points and condenser). I noticed the after market had a longer pig tail and was told to wind it around the metal fuel line to reduce the yearly point burning. I went back to stock dealer parts to reduce the point burning. IMO, there is a lack of quality in condensers (micro etc).

I have not needed points or condensers on my 1970 35 HP Chrysler (same as some 55HP) since I purchased it in 1984. The points have needed cleaning from over oiling the wics, humid oxidation or etc but no burning or pitting. See attachment:

Attachments

• 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 2

jmulz824

Seaman

Ok, I have an idea as far as my condensers go. My napa of course only had 1 FM200 in stock so I have the second one coming here on tuesday. I know the clamp on the condenser is the ground for it, but does it have to be installed under the flywheel? Can I mount them to the block in a different location, somewhere where if I needed to change them out on the lake, I could with out pulling the flywheel? Just an idea, what do you guys think.

wickware

Lieutenant

I feel there are other options. I have not considered them due to not having a condenser issue since changing points and condensers in 1985 (in my 1970 35 hp Chrysler). The option, I considered at one point if needed, was electronic ignition.

We started converting old worn Mag sys lawnmowers (70s 80s) to electronic with success. We never had a converted mower to come back or fail on me personally. BUT! IMO an electronic sys will go out like a Light vs slow with a mag sys. Dead In The Water vs Limping Home.

Are the condensers at Napa the same brand and # at the Dealers? I feel there is a difference in quality of condensers. The mounting and holding on the plate problem is a different issue. Are the dia of condensers causing this issue?

jmulz824

Seaman

Thats a good question on the condensor part #. I have no idea because none of the dealers in my area can seem to find parts for my boat, or don't seem too encouraged to try. I have never been fond of any NAPA electronic parts. I have had many fail on me for different applications. However, this is the number most recommended on here. Do you know anywhere to get a NEW OEM condenser? I was just trying to ease the pain of replacing them if necessary.

Plus if I had an issue on the lake, I wouldn't need to go home and change them, I could swap them quickly.

wickware

Lieutenant

I?ll suggest trying parts from Franz?s, since he specializes in Chryslers. At least compare part #s and concern about them not lasting with a local Marine Dealer that handles Chrysler parts.

Franz Marine your Connection for Chrysler Outboard parts.
Franz has over 30 years of accumulated parts and experience. He is a factory certified
Force technician and is a member of the Kansas City Marine Dealers Association
and the Marine Retailers Association of America.
Franz's Marine Service
Franz Buddenberg
(816) 966-8085
12608 3rd Street, Grandview, MO 64030

wickware

Lieutenant

mulz824, If you are on the water a lot and not too far out, have you thought about a small 5 hp Etc (on the back to get you home)? Walking Is Not Fun!

jmulz824

Seaman

I have an electric troller so I'm not concerned about getting stuck. I will check with franz and try to get more info. Thanks!

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mounting the condensors out from under the flywheel is an interesting idea. The lead would have to be lengthened, and my only concern would be if that extra length would cause any current issues? I say try it, what would you be out besides a little time, wire, and electrical tape?

As for original parts... we are at the mercy of the manufacturer. When you order a tuneup kit for your motor you get 2 condensors, and 2 sets of points. If you compare the condensors in the kit to the NAPA FM200, they are a little smaller if I remember correctly. I don't know if you could judge the quality without a side by side comparison? Either way, the NAPA brand is a little cheaper at $11-12 bucks, and can be had much faster than ordering online. Like I said before, the main issue I always ran into was the mounting clamp, and loose leads.

wickware

Lieutenant

Again! My 1970 experiences with after market condensers with longer pigtails was burning the points in less than a yr vs not burning the points in less than a yr with Dealer?s original stock condensers.

A good coil/condenser tester would probably show different values testing the two pigtail lengths. I would think most small engine shops have these testers as we did in the 70s.

I would also question if coils or points are out of spec and settings if they can kill condensers?

Are any values or stock #s on stock Chrysler points, coils and condensers?