My first boat and motor - 1993 Force 120 No spark from any spark plug

17aqua

Cadet
Hello everyone, this is my first post, and boat.

1974 Aquasport 170 came with 1993 Force 120 current issue no spark. The last time this boat was Registered was back in 2003 The previous owner tells me its been in storage for a couple of years.

What Ive done so far, is not much but I would like to know where to go from here, I changed the spark plugs, and added a new battery. The motor turns over but wont start. So I checked for spark by removing the spark plugs and connecting them to the plugs then grounding the spark plug to the block and got nothing, did this with all four.

Just looking for some advise on the diagnoses for spark on this engine.

Thanks,

George

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image 3.jpg
    image 3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: My first boat and motor - 1993 Force 120 No spark from any spark plug

Make sure the motor kill switch lanyard is attached or kill switch is set to the "RUN" position. The kill switch grounds out the ignition signal preventing any spark to the plugs.

17aqua

Cadet

Make sure the motor kill switch lanyard is attached or kill switch is set to the "RUN" position. The kill switch grounds out the ignition signal preventing any spark to the plugs.

Thank you, pnwboat. I tried looking for the kill switch over by the ignition ad notice there are two wires coming out of the harness before it ends, im thinking this is where the kill switch is supposed to go? I ordered the repair manual I want to work on it while its on the way. Do you know anything about wiring the kill switch?

Thanks,

George.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The Kill Switch grounds the ignition signal. To disable it, you just disconnect the wires. The Kill Switch is wired directly to the ignition switch. Usually a white wire (or black/yellow) on the first "M" terminal on the ignition switch and a blue wire (or blue/black) on the second "M" terminal on the ignition switch.

Follow these wires from the ignition switch and they either go to the throttle control, which has the "Run/Stop" switch. Looks something like this
Kill switch3.jpg

Or they go to the dash and are attached to a little button like thing, kind of like this. There is a lanyard with a special plastic clip that slips under the head of the button to allow the ignition to work.
Kill switch.jpg

When it's attached in the normal running position, it looks like this.
Kill switch2.jpg

When you pull the plastic clip off of the Kill Switch, it stops the motor. This is just a safety feature. I guess you're supposed to attach the other end of the lanyard to your self so if you fall overboard, it pulls the clip and stops the motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

IF??? You used the control made for that motor.What shifter?Pics?
There is a kill switch that goes on a spot under the key switch.
A pic would be great.
What color wire?

Then if that's not an issue?? Outboard ignition . com has test procedures for this motor.

17aqua

Cadet

IF??? You used the control made for that motor.What shifter?Pics?
There is a kill switch that goes on a spot under the key switch.
A pic would be great.
What color wire?

Then if that's not an issue?? Outboard ignition . com has test procedures for this motor.

17aqua

Cadet

Hopefully these pics can help us figure out what is going on. Please let me know.

Thanks,

George.

17aqua

Cadet

What do you guys think, jerryjerry05, pnwboat?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Doesn't look like you have a Kill Switch on your rig. Darn, I was hoping it would be simple. Do you have an OHM meter? Time to start checking the ignition system.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Looks like the purple lead has come loose from the ignition switch.
You need the manual with the switch diagram.
On the motor,where the wiring harness is connected.
Look there and see what the colors connect to.

timmeraw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Find out where that black and yellow stripped wire connects on the motor side(probably a terminal). Disconnect it there and check for spark. If it does then have spark you will need to do some investigation with a multi-meter etc to determine why it is closing the circuit and grounding the ignition. Be aware that if you happen to get it running you will not be able to shut it off with the key if it is disconnected so you will either need to ground it with that wire to the terminal or worse case choke it off by closing the choke.

17aqua

Cadet

Thanks guys, I tried all I could and without the correct multi meter I really cant diagnose this thing. I am going to have a mechanic come take a look and see whats going on here. I will post up the result. pnwboat, jerryjerry305, and timmeraw.

Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

scan0009.jpg

Try this,It might help?