force 70 hp 1992 turns over but wont cycle!!!!pls advise

adrian78

Cadet
had an evinrude 100 hp that trew a rod , exchange it for this 70 hp , wasnt in use for 2 3 years , i had no problem starting it , it ran fine for 2 days , went fishing with no problem .on sunday after 2 days i use it , i ran out of gas , i took the boat out went got gas . mix it, got back on the lake , started w no problem , and start heading to my fishing spot. after 2 miles of running it went from 22 mph to 16 and at that time i put it on neutral when it died and wont restart , will turn over but wont cycle. the fly wheal was loose , and some brown melted stuff came through the nut that is on the shaft,dark red color. i tied the nut and no luck, pulled the fly wheel out , cleaned all that melted stuff on the inside put the key where it suppose, i can see the the tip in that long cut (is any way u can tell is locked in ??) and i did the timming with the gun i have 1st piston firing in the front , second in the middle and 3rd in the back , i have spark in all the sparkpluggs, i have gas in the carburator , but my sparpluggs looks kinda dry , i dunno if i get enough fuel getting to the cyliners,but when i choke the carb i have plenty gas coming out!!!! and i have a 16.5 ebbtide bass boat fiberglasa and i only do 22 mpr , is that bout the right speed???

adrian78

Cadet
Re: force 70 hp 1992 turns over but wont cycle!!!!pls advise

Pls help out , i need to get on the water soon fishing is creazyyy

qcarlson

Seaman

Pls help out , i need to get on the water soon fishing is creazyyy

Sounds Like you may have melted the Stator, Pull the flywheel and take a look or post a picture...

JDusza

Ensign

I'm confused. Sounds like the engine is running right now (?).
You put the key back in to where it supposed to go. Was it out of place? Is the key whole or chipped up?
Melted stuff is not good. Pull the flywheel and look at the stator and the trigger assembly (timer base).
J

speed is to do with the prop pitch if the motor is running right so thats something you fix after the motor is running right. It will do better than 22 but first things first it has to run correctly. After you work out what melted drain the carbs as well as you ran it out of gas so it might have sucked in some water/dirt from the tank

adrian78

Cadet

how can i tell if the stator is bad ?

qcarlson

Seaman

as I am re-reading your post another thing to check would be the magnets on the flywheel the red/brown melted compound could be the epoxy used to mount the magnets....Good Luck

if you have a good spark at the plugs a tach that moves and over 13 volts indicated when the engines running then the stator should be ok.

p.s if you have a good spark then the tach and charging system not working doesnt prove the stator is bad it just doesnt prove it is good

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Photo would help.
Show us where the brown goo was, and the red.

Loose flywheel nut is bad.
Once replaced, it must be torqued to spec.

You have spark, stator should be good.

Have you checked the compression?

This would be my next check. Bad/low compression could indicate a bad crankshaft seal.

Did the motor backfire anytime during this ordeal?

Also a very good chance that crud and dirt was sucked up into the fuel system when it ran out of gas.

adrian78

Cadet

yeah it back fired, and the stator is cracked all around , i keep crank it but no luck wont start at all