Force 50 Fuel Issues

the15car

Recruit
Last fall I bought a pontoon with a Mercury Force 50 2 stroke. It ran a bit rough and seemed to use a lot of fuel, so I looked and saw it was leaking from what appeared to be a brass vent from the carburetor (see pic - Force_50_Carb). Guessing that the float was high, I took it apart, cleaned it, and lowered the float a small amount. Now when I try to start it, it won't fire. Here's what I've done so far:

- Primed it with a spray bottle of oil/fuel. This works, and it runs until it uses up that fuel.
- Made sure fuel is making it from the tank all the way to the carb. It is, and is definitely filling the carb bowl.

My next guess is to adjust the float back up, but I'd like to get some input first. I'm very familiar with automotive mechanics, but brand new at outboards. I'm definitely not used to a carburetor that doesn't have a choke, and doesn't appear to have a mixture screw (there is a small jet where I've read there is supposed to be one).

I've attached a picture of the original leak, along with a part that I can't identify, and an overall picture of the engine.

Thanks for the help,
Darren

Attachments

• Force_50_Carb.jpg
    Force_50_Carb.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Force_50.jpg
    Force_50.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 50 Fuel Issues

You don't have a "choke" you have an enricher.The thingy you circled.
What year? Serial# Model#?
Your missing an air screw #18,DON"T RUN IT AGAIN!!!
Go to boats . net Force parts and 95 year and 50hp carb. The screw #18 is missing.
Also if it's leaking then you didn't set the float right?Maybe the needle isin't in right?
Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help?
Manual??? Factory is best.

the15car

Recruit

Jerry,

Thank you, huge help. That is the exact information I was hoping for. Zooming in on the picture I can see where the idle screw should go, and now it makes sense. I was surprised there was no adjustment, and that would probably explain why it won't run once it uses the primed fuel. I'm going to order the screw, spring, and gasket set and let you know how it works.

The leak was before I lowered the float. It was squirting from the "fuel leak" hole (vent?) in the previous picture. Won't know if that's resolved until I run it again.

I updated my location. Will get the numbers off of the engine for future reference.

Thanks again,
Darren

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the needle/seat is in good condition.
That overflow,not sure but it might be a plug that's gone bad.
Pics of both sides and the top ?
Model? Year? Seial#s?