1966 Chrysler 50 short shaft to long shaft conversion.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I belive all the parts I need to do this conversion are.

1 drive shaft
2 leg extension
3 shift link
4 water pick up tube

I had a deal with a fellow iboater to swap my short parts for his long shaft parts as he needed a short and I need a long.
But he is now MIA. So if anyone here has the parts I need kicking around that would be fantastic.

However it is not beyond my skill set to make a 5" extension for the leg and shift link and water pick up, but I only have a question about the best way to extend the drive shaft. I am a welder by trade and was thinking to cut the drive shaft and add a 5" piece of shaft and use collars welded over the 2 resulting joints.

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Re: 1966 Chrysler 50 short shaft to long shaft conversion.

You need as you says.
1. Longshaft drivshaft (there is no extension piece)
2. Legextension piece
3. Watertube extension piece
4. Shiftrod for longleg (there is no extesion piece)

Try Ebay for the parts or a junkengine with longleg.
Parts from 35Hp, 45Hp and 55Hp Chrysler 1966 through about 1973 will fit. About 1974-75 the extension pieces went out.
The engines were not build for conversion.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have looked all over ebay and the net to no avail. Hope somebody on here has the parts I seek

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I just ordered all the parts I need and a few tune up bits from chrysleroutboards.com

I have the Driveshaft, shift link, water tube extender, leg extender,a fuel pump dia and gasket and a carb gasket kit plus an impeller all brand new exept for the shaft for $203.00 inc shipping. should have it for tuesday as it is right here in Canada.