Chrysler 105 spark plugs

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been adding onto my thread in the prop section and decided to post here. Anyway. I went to four autoparts stores and they either didn't have the plugs or not enough of them. They all told me the champion spark plug book shows a different plug than a surface plug L20v that was in there. They say the book says that it takes the ground strap style plug. has anyonee ever run into this? I have a Chrysler 105 hp model # 1059hg outboard motor 1977. In the prop forum I was told that it takes the L20V. I called the autoparts store and told him and he gave me a number 1800 325 8886 to champion. I spoke with the guy there and he said his book also says to use the grounding strap style plug 883, 811, or 931 for a resistor plug. He said why would anyone put a crappy plug in it like that when it calls for the other style plugs. He then said he would turn the motor over by hand and see if the piston clears it anyway just to be safe. He said the surface gap plugs were junk, and as long as the piston doesn't hit the piston which it shouldn't I would be fine. He said they made those surface gap plugs for motors that didn't have clearence.

I also was posting in the other section on my prop thread about about compression. This motor was sitting in a barn for who knows how long. It had mouse nests piled half way up the power head filled with the insulation from the cover, mouse **** and crap. Looked like twenty years or so of stagnet stink! lol It cleaned up pretty nice. I did a compression check and it was 90, 125, 125, and 60. I took the head off and the gasket wasn't even stuck. All the bolts were easy to turn out. The cylinders had a real fine rust in them and there was no ridge at the top. I wiped them out with motor oil, cleaned everything back up and put it back together with the same gasket. I didn't want to spend money on the motor if it wasn't going to be any good. I sprayed the gasket with copper spray. Anyway I had the same readings. I read about decarb and stuck rings so I had some pb blaster and sprayed that in it and tilted it up. I let it sit for a week with it tilted all the way up and turned it back and forth a bit every day. I then ended up with 122, 130, 130, and 100 on the bottom cylinder. I havent started this motor yet. I think it will run like that. I am hoping that once the motor starts and I do a sea foam spray decarb on it it will free up the carbon more and get better compression yet. Do these cylinders have any taper to them? I was thinking that maybe pistons sitting at different parts of the cylinders gettinstuck rings might only get compression at only part of the cylinders. What do you guys think?

When I cleaned the carbs I knew it sat for a while because the gas in the bowl turned to a hard black putty. I had a hard time getting the bottom carbs bowl off it was so stuck!

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Chrysler 105 spark plugs

105 out board side veiw.JPG small piston pic.JPG some pictures

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Chrysler 105 spark plugs

well looking at the part number in the exploded diagram of the model engine I have it says that the plug is champion spark plug L20V like Frank said. I am thinking this has to be the right plug then. I wonder why all the books at the autoparts stores are wrong, and the champion rep that I spoke with? They ordered the wrong plugs for my motor. Reading up on spark plug postings I can see Frank knows what he is talking about. I think I will just go to a different store and ask for the right style plugs. Looks like from what I have read the magnum cdi units on the older chryslers used surface gap plugs, and the change over set up to a points coil resistor and compasitor need the ground strap style plugs. Thanks for the help Frank. I just didn't know with you saying one thing and four other guys saying another at different stores. They must all have the wrong published book? I had a feeling they were wrong that's why I checked here. I didn't want the wrong parts. Auto zone said that plug wasn't available to them but if I could get a reference number to a ngk he could get it. I think I will tell him I need four ngk BUHW or BUHX.