125 Force ignition problem, only one cylinder getting spark?

dknightfish

Cadet
I have a 1988 Force 125 that suddenly would not start. I took it out for the first time of the year few weeks ago, fished for two days no problem then all the sudden would not start; it cranks but does not kick. I first checked the compression to make sure I did not have a big problem; it was good, 110 PSI on all cylinders. I figured it was not getting spark, so I used a spark tester to check the ignition, and I found that only the top cylinder was getting spark, the bottom three cylinders have no spark.

What should I check next? The wires look ok, but how would I test them? How would I test the power pack or other common ignition components?

Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 Force ignition problem, only one cylinder getting spark?

Three plugs no fire???
outboard ignition . com
CDI ignition has the test procedures.
110 is a bit low? Try a different guage,all plugs out?
The flywheel key could have sheared?
I replace ALL the wire connectors on all the parts,trigger,packs and coils.
Try switching the top pack with the bottom???See if the spark follows the pack?
Then try the procedures for the testing the ignition.

dknightfish

Cadet

Yes all the plugs were out, and its a new compression gauge.
It could be low, I always thought it lacked power, but all were right on 110.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The 110 could be just the guage.
Not saying your gauge is bad,just try another.
The good thing is all 3 at 110 is a good thing.
Any difference would indicate a problem?
How many revolutions you turning for the test?
It should be let it turn over till the guage stops going up.
Could be 3revs or 8.
On the flywheel,there are 3 hash marks and 1 single hash mark.
Take a screwdriver,(remove the top plug) insert the screwy into the hole.
Then turn the flywheel,by hand untill the piston pushes the screwy all the way out.
Then at the top/end of the rev.
Go around the front above the carbs and check the marks on the flywheel.
The single hash mark should be right at the timing mark.
If it's off then flywheel key has sheared.

dknightfish

Cadet

Thanks for your help JerryJerry05,

I tried the test, pushing the screwdriver out of the top cylinder, the single marks did line up, and so the flywheel key should be good. I need to buy a strap wrench and puller so I can get the flywheel off and take a look at the stator and trigger.

I have the SELOC book that has a short paragraph on troubleshooting the PRESTOLITE IGNITION. It includes a section on “NO FIRE OR INTERMITTENT FIRE ON ONE CYLINDER” AND “NO FIRE ON TWO CLYINDERS” if two cylinders from the same CD do not fire, the problem is usually the stator, however I have three cylinders that do not fire? Does that point to the stator as well? Is it uncommon to have three of the four cylinders not getting spark?

I will try the compression test again once I can get it started and up to operational temperatures, won’t the compression usually come when the engine heats up? I will also try a different gauge to make sure I’m getting a good reading.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

It's very likley the stator's bad???
You can do some base test while the stator's still in place.
Seloc is about the last place I'd look.They do fine on general maint. but don't go into enough specific details.
The outboard ignition . com is what I use.
Look at this linc.
http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/85hp-force-cannot-get-flywheel-off-597576.html
The normal 3 wing harmonic balancer puller can pull the flywheel.In some drastic cases you need a lot more help.

Dknightfish, did you end up solving the ignition issue? I've got the EXACT same problem on my '89 125. Cyl #1 fires great, 130psi across the board, but can't get spark on the other 3 cylinders to save my life.....

dknightfish

Cadet

I finally ended up replacing the stator and that fixed the problem. I have spark on all four! I did warp the flywheel using a three jaw puller getting to the stator, so be careful when pulling the stator. Use penetrating oil (which I did) and slowly tap around the fly wheel with a mallet as you tighten the puller. Mine was crazy tough to get off, snapped several sets of bolts using a bolt puller, before I rented a jaw puller.