1986 model force 85 HP fuel starvation

deanr6761

Recruit
Need more advice, my original problem had only idle speed on my 1986 85HP Force, so i changed out ball pump, got new fuel, replaced related fuel hoses, fuel pump diaphram, all three check valves and rebuilt carborators, but am still not getting fuel to exit the pump to enter the carbs, while i had the fuel pump cover off i turned over engine and put my fingers over the tiny in and out holes on the block and did feel some in and out pressure (dont know if that means anything) i also filled up the outlet hose going to the carbs thinking it needed a little priming, well i got exited for about 2 minutes while it ran like charm then conked out, i think it used up all the gas i introduced into the line but as soon as it ran out it stopped due to lack of fuel. anybody know where i go from here?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1986 model force 85 HP fuel starvation

Make sure the primer ball is oriented correctly. Usually there is an arrow on it indicating direction of fuel flow. If that's OK, then you may have a problem in your tank. It's not uncommon for the fuel pickup in the tank to be plugged with debris causing fuel starvation. Have you tried a portable tank or some other temporary gas tank to test?

foodfisher

Captain

Since the ''primed' fuel was used, that indicates no vacuum was built up. Sounds like you're sucking air from somewhere.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile?? Location?? You might be close to someone who can help???
Rebuild the pump. The diaphram.There one in there??
Compression test?
No fuel from the pump to the carbs.
Is the hose soft, mushy? Make sure it's not melted or falling apart inside.
If it's not pumping from the pump to the inlet,then the check valves or the diaphram??