Need help identifying Force 90 HP motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi all. I've read quite a few threads and see that identifying old Force outboards is not an uncommon problem. I'm hoping someone can give me a clue that might narrow down the list of likely motors to make my search for the correct model number a little easier. I only need it so I can buy the right repair parts.

All the original, easy to find indicators of serial and model number are gone (or I can't find them). Some previous owner had the boat registered using a stamped part number that is not unique to any particular motor. Here's what I do know.
  • The motor cover says it is a 90 HP "Force by Mercury Marine"
  • The original exterior color was mostly black
  • The motor has three cylinders and three carburetors
  • Each cylinder has its own coil pack
  • The motor has in integral power tilt/lift jack
  • On the starboard side of the motor there is a square box about 2" x 2" with a yellow transparent cover. I can see numerous soldered connections under the cover
  • A bundle of wires nearby meet at push-in connectors
  • One part has a legible paper label on it.

Photos of the yellow covered box and the paper label are below. My hope is that someone can help me narrow down the range of time or model numbers this engine might be. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2013-03-15%252017.01.58.jpg

2013-03-15%252016.59.15.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help identifying Force 90 HP motor

Difficult to say with the photos you posted. It has a Mercury fuel pump and Mercury ignition. That puts it somewhere in the 90s. The yellow box is the voltage rectifier/regulator.

Usually there is a number stamped into the block at the left side of the head at #1 cylinder. This number can be cross referenced by Merc to give you the year. IF you are lucky there will still be a sticker on the starter motor mount. This will have the model or serial number.

A good photo of the cover will let some of the others give you a closer date as will a good photo of the lower unit.

AHHH I just noticed that the engine has a sticker stating that if idle is adjusted, the throttle cable must also be adjusted. That means it has Mercury controls and is 1994 or later.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great info Frank. I think I found the number on the head you described. The photo is below. I think the number is: 900-819857-C2. I also took a photo of the lower unit and it is below. I'll get a photo of the motor with the cover on it tomorrow.

2013-03-15%252021.52.45.jpg

2013-03-15%252021.53.20.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Those sure look like the cdm coil units used on the 1996-99 models.

I think pretty much all the parts were interchangeable for those years, except maybe the carbs.

Nordin

Commander

Insist with Frank and roscoe. In 1994 they changed the ign.system from Prestolite to Mercury typ. Prestolite had three blue ign.coils and two blue CDI boxes. 1994 models could have either Mercury typ or Prestolite typ.
SO your engine is a 1994 or later and allmost everything are them same from 1994 until 1999.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Again, thanks to all. .... Here's a photo of the entire motor.

2013-03-15%252010.01.43.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Lower unit is Mercury, definitely putting the engine at 1994 or later. As far as the number on the head: That may simply be a casting number BUT Merc. may still be able to cross reference it. As stated above, from 1994 until 1999 everything was pretty much similar.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, just dug up some photos of my old motor.
That is definitely CDM ignition, used from 96-99.

pre 92 used prestolite light blue coils.
Mid year '92 they switched to Mercury switchbox ignition.
1996 they switched to CDM ignition

shurt

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 99 Force (90HP) manufactured in 98....Everything looks identical except for decals on Cowl(?) Motor cover... For what its worth:)

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think we can put this thread to bed. Today I found convincing information that the boat this engine is on was built in 1996 by a company that has a history of equipping its boats with Mercury engines. Given that and all the information you folks have generously added, I have concluded that this engine was likely built in 1996-7. That's close enough for my needs. Thanks again.

Zxavioure

Cadet
I need help with mine if possible 1990 90 Horsepower but I’m lacking the model number and have exhausted all resources on the internet. I have found several numbers but nothing that coincides or deciphers to a model number please help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I need help with mine if possible 1990 90 Horsepower but I’m lacking the model number and have exhausted all resources on the internet. I have found several numbers but nothing that coincides or deciphers to a model number please help.

Are you ever going to start a thread of your own? All you're doing is getting old and inactive threads closed. Please start a new thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.