Chrysler 9hp Spark Issue

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. I have a 9hp Chr. that I'm trying to revive.

Things I've done:

1) Cleaned and gapped the points (.020 at max open)
2) Tested the coils and point closing with an ohm meter
3) Gapped plugs

I'm having some trouble with spark. When I revolve the engine, I get a nice blue spark with the plug sitting out and grounded. Godd right? I squirt some fuel into the cylinder, insert the plug and expect a kick or two...but nothing. I checked compression; it's about 85psi...pretty good for an old girl, should be enough for a bang or two.

So, I added timing marks to the flywheel, and used a drill to revolve the engine. Both cylinders are hitting at about 6deg btdc at wot. Should be good.

Here's the curious thing...when I run the plug into the cylinder, I get no more triggers on my timing light. I suspect the compression is causing the spark to not bridge the gap (weak spark).

Any idea or advice? Can the magnet in the flywheel weaken and cause low spark energy??

Chay

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Chrysler 9hp Spark Issue

1. Try a spark tester that will let you see the plug is firing under compression. They are cheap at Harbor Freight and Auto Stores I would think.

2. Try new plugs if those are not new.

3. IMO, if you saw blue spark, it should continue unless the compression is affecting a weak spark.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chrysler 9hp Spark Issue

I ended up finding bad condensor connections, spark is good now...on to the carb...

Chay