120 hp Force Motor Dies After Running 10 Minutes

JesseW

Recruit
I am looking at purchasing a 1990 Bayliner with a 120 hp Force outboard motor. The current owner said the last time he took the boat out it started up and ran for ~10 minutes and died and he couldn't get it started again. He was told it is probably a head gasket. I wanted to get other opinions and answers from people who have knowledge of this issue or have had the same issue. I know all the normal issues (sticky carbs, bad fuel, bad fuel pump, compression test, loss of spark, etc.) Any other ideas? I want to see if this boat is worth buying or if I will need to put a new motor on it. Thanks in advance for your help!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120 hp Force Motor Dies After Running 10 Minutes

Welcome to iboats Jesse.

"Not starting" could be caused by a lot of things.
A few things that may be cheap and easy to fix.
And a few things that may be very expensive to fix.

"Probably a head gasket" means nothing. That is just talk and should be ignored.
If it is just a head gasket, he should spend the $100 and get it fixed. Then he could easily sell the boat, and probably for more $$.

Until you can start checking it out and diagnosing the problems that lie inside, consider the motor to be a throw away, and plan on getting a new motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

ANY marine purchase shoud also include a mechanic to look at the motor.
At the very least a compression and spark test should be done.
Profile,location? You might be close to someone who can help??
Depending on the $$ you might get a great deal or like Roscoe said,a new motor?
Something like it ran 10 min and died could be as simple as a fuel pump diaphram or a blown piston.
One's an easy fix the other a bit more complicated.
If it has good compression it's easily fixable.Maybe costly$$$ maybe not???
Check the 2 items I mentioned and then make your decision.
Just cause it's shiny and LOOKS good means NOTHING!!!

BonairII

Commander

I'm not a fan of Force motors(based on their rep). If you are dead set on buying it, assume its a "parts motor" and offer a price commensurate with that.

foodfisher

Captain

Could be as simple as a plugged/crimped fuel tank vent hose.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Unlike some others,I like the Forces,With proper maint they can last a long time.
You'll find a lot of the Chrysler /Force fans here.
Easy to diagnose if there is a problem.Parts are still readily available too.
Unlike the other motors you won't need a computer to work on them.
Mine are 25 years old and I wouldn't hesitate to go 20-30 mi out in the ocean.(if I can find some one to pay for the gas?? $3.96)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Unless you have a friend or a COMPETENT mechanic that knows these engines to examine it: RUN, don't walk away. The owner knows nothing and may or may not be telling the truth. Like others, I like Force engines and will buy almost anything because I already have parts and can fix them cheaply.

You, on the other hand are a virgin poster and probably not too conversant with outboards. SO: No matter what the price, don't buy a boat/engine with any KNOWN problem. Every engine for sale ran when put away and every one also ONLY needs a head gasket or fuel pump.

You just want to get out on the water without any hassle. No boat needs to be bought. Like women, there will always be another one down the road. There are too many starfish in the sea to settle.

JesseW

Recruit

Thanks for your help everyone! I have experience working on automotive engines and small 4 stroke engines including ATV/motorcycles. I have never worked on a 2 stroke motor not to mention outboards so I wanted to get opinions first. NADA priced the boat at $2190 and the guy is asking $1300. I was going to shoot him an offer of $750 explaining the possibility of a new engine. I think the guy is being straight with me but who knows.

Mostly I like this boat if I can get it cheap and running because I have never owned a boat so something small and cheap to learn on would be great! Thanks again for all your help and if I decide to purchase this boat I will let everyone know what the issue was if I can diagnose it.

jamesnoll

Cadet
I am with JerryJerry, I have a 24 year old 120 Force. If you take care of them and use them they will run forever. Yes you have to do PM on them but they are simple and easy to understand if you take time to learn them.

Jiggz

Captain
It sounds like you are dead set on buying the boat because of its enticing cheap price. So here's my input: Do a compression test. All cylinders should register within 10% of each other with a minimum of 105 PSI, but greater is better. Check for sparks on each plug wire using on in-line spark plug tester (Make sure the kill or lanyard switch is not activated). Check the gear oil, it should be clear and bright. Any sign of water contamination indicates the unit could be locked frozen which means you will need a new one. Make sure the battery is fully charged and crank over the engine. Even though it does not fire it should crank over vigorously and not slow or dragging. If it is, the engine could be bad or the starter could be bad. Finally, check the boat itself. It should not have any soft spots on the flooring, otherwise don't buy it. Note before doing all the testings, negotiate the final price first with the understanding it will pass all the above tests.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your help everyone! I have experience working on automotive engines and small 4 stroke engines including ATV/motorcycles. I have never worked on a 2 stroke motor not to mention outboards so I wanted to get opinions first. NADA priced the boat at $2190 and the guy is asking $1300. I was going to shoot him an offer of $750 explaining the possibility of a new engine. I think the guy is being straight with me but who knows.

Mostly I like this boat if I can get it cheap and running because I have never owned a boat so something small and cheap to learn on would be great! Thanks again for all your help and if I decide to purchase this boat I will let everyone know what the issue was if I can diagnose it.

I am a big fan of the Force and Chrysler outboards, but if it is low on compression it may just not be worth it to have it repaired by a mechanic, if you can repair it yourself, then I would still be jubious of buying it, as Frank virtually said do you want to get out on the water or be frustrated because you can't. Also a 120 HP is not small nor cheap to replace. But in saying that you may be lucky and pick up another old 120hp force for parts.