1988 125HP Force electrical issues

hhcochris

Recruit
I have a 1988 H1258L88B Force outboard. I bought this rebuilt motor a year ago from a dealer. The motor itself runs great, but I'm having electrical issues with the tilt/trim.

I would drive it accross the lake, and after about 10 minutes, while trying to trim up the motor, noticed it wouldn't trim up. The first time this happened, I stopped to check things out, and after not finding anything obvious, attempted to start up again...but it wouldn't start. That time, it turned out the breaker tripped, and after that, all was fine.

The second time, the breaker didn't trip, but it still had the trim issue. It could trim down, but wouldn't trim up. I called the dealer, and was told to replace both tilt/trim relays. I did this, and the problem was fixed...for about 10 minutes...after which, the same problem happened again.

I called the dealer again, and was told to get a new pair of relays. The last pair had been aftermarket, but I made sure to get the Quicksilver brand the second time...which made no difference. Things worked for a few minutes again, and then the trim up stopped working again.

Thinking it may be just the tilt/trim switch on the throttle control, I took that apart, and noticed problems...the insulation on the wires were melted, and some of the bare wires were exposed. I think one of the wires running from the tilt/trim switch on the throttle arm got pinched where the throttle arm connects to the control box (the pivot point where the arm moves forard/backwards).

I know electrical problems are almost impossible to diagnose without tearing into it yourself, but based on everything described, would the most likely cause of the problem have come from the pinched wire making contact, shorting out, and melting the wires around it? Or would it be more likely there was something else wrong with the electronics, and some type of surge happened that melted the wires?

I'm debating if I should just get a new control box, or if I need to take it somewhere to have something else checked out...there aren't a lot of places in my area that like working on Force outboards, and since I've already got enough money into it, would rather avoid a hefty bill from someone else doing it...I'm pretty confident I can do the control box myself if that's all it is (I've already taken it apart and put it back together a few times), but if there's a more complex electrical issue, I may have to find somewhere to take it...in which case, it may just be easier to sell it instead...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 125HP Force electrical issues

I like the switch in the handle but never did like the way the wires were run through it. My siggestion would be to open the control box and disconnect the bullet connectros for the tilt/trim. Then, run a separate M-O-M switch mounted somewhere convenient. Melted wires definitely indicate a short at some time as does the tripped circuit breaker.

Schwarzkopf9

Recruit

I would agree with the pinched wire being the culprit. You may also want to get your TT motor electrically checked out. A motor thats on its way out can also overload to circuit and heat up the wiring and do the melty wire/circuit breaker trick as well. Had the issue myself, new tt motor fixed the problem(well, i took it off and had it rebuilt-not new). If nothing else, it would be a good peace of mind to know the health of your parts.

hhcochris

Recruit

Thanks for both suggestions. Schwarzkopf9, I agree it would be a good idea to have it checked out...it's annoying that the motor runs perfectly, but the tilt/trim is preventing me from having a good time on the water...based on the posts here, it looks like I'm not alone with this issue...

Frank, I think I will install the switch elsewhere, instead of in the throttle control...although it is more convenient to have it in the throttle arm, I don't want to deal with this issue again...when I took the control box apart, I remember thinking it looked too easy for those wires to get pinched again...I'll pick up a switch and try that route. The boat is stored away for the winter, so I'll have to do this sometime in the spring...it's been so long since I've looked at it that I don't remember the wiring configuration inside the box.

Does anyone have (or know where I can find) a picture of the inside/outside of the control box, so I can figure out how I'm going to run the new switch? A wiring diagram of the entire control box setup would also be helpful (I know more wires were melted than just the switch wires, but I can't recall which ones)...I saw the wiring diagrams for the switch itself, but I'll need to figure out how to keep the switch wires outside of the control box, while still keeping the plug where the wires come into the box (hopefully keeping water out of there)...

Again, thanks for all the help!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The wires from the handle are for sending the signal to the relays.
Just cut that lead. Then run a hot lead from the wire to the switch on the dash,middle position.
Make sure the lead is always on hot lead. You will want the T/T to operate with the switch off.
Then extend the blue/green leads from the shifter to the switch.
Then hook up both leads to the switch and try to raise /lower. You might have to switch them around to get it right.

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem. I ran mine from under the control box, right up the throttle lever, and tucked them in at the top, using the existing switch. Visible, and works just fine. Or you can hide them with tape.
Hated when the lever would chaff them, and a repair, although easy, on the water isn't fun.
Bob List