mercury force L drive

209allstar

Cadet
hi i have a 1990 merc force 120hp L drive with a bad lower unit . i found the dog gear clutch prop shaft assembly on ebay, I was wondering how hard it would be to swap out and if this will fix the unit? if anyone knows about this please let me know :confused:

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: mercury force L drive

you would have to disassemble it and see what the problem is first. It could be minor or very major damage inside. for that old motor a good working used lower might be the way to go.

Bondo

Staff member

hi i have a 1990 merc force 120hp L drive with a bad lower unit . i found the dog gear clutch prop shaft assembly on ebay, I was wondering how hard it would be to swap out and if this will fix the unit? if anyone knows about this please let me know :confused:

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If that Ain't what's broken, I kinda doubt it'll fix it...

That's why ya gotta find out, Exactly what's broken, Before ya go buyin' parts...

209allstar

Cadet

it got water in it the leak was fixed but when you give it throttle it doesnt spin the prop very strongly guy at shop said possibly the dog clutch or gear? ........does this come out without dropping the lower unit?

209allstar

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If that Ain't what's broken, I kinda doubt it'll fix it...

That's why ya gotta find out, Exactly what's broken, Before ya go buyin' parts...

i have not bought any yet just lookin at my options . also if all the guts are replaced isnt that the same as replacing the lower unit?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I moved this to the Force outboard forum. A much better chance for answers there.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

it got water in it the leak was fixed but when you give it throttle it doesnt spin the prop very strongly guy at shop said possibly the dog clutch or gear? ........does this come out without dropping the lower unit?

This makes little sense.

It either works, or it doesn't.
The guys comment about it not spinning the prop very strongly leads me to believe he is not a good mechanic.

The lower unit has to come off to work on it.
They took it off to replace the seals.
They should have checked out the unit while they had it apart.

I suspect they are either bad mechanics, or they are looking to take more money from you.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Typically when a bad clutch dog slips it feels like you hit something.
Does it clunk, or does it just seem gutless?
Or does it feel like the prop is slipping?Motor revs but the boat may actually slow?
As you may know the L drive is not recommended even from the Force fans.
You may want too consider that before putting more money into it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile??? Location?? You might be close to someone who can help??
Like steel said THINK REAL HARD before you spend $$$$ on the L-drive.
Like Roscoe suggests check the prop first.
Does it go into gear at all??
Just changing the dog isin't real hard to do. Changing the gears and shafts is more than you can do at home. It takes special tools.

Give us a better description on what it's doing or not doing??
The dog can be fixed.
If your sure the insides are bad, then look for a complete unit.
Or try the local Mercury Dealer.
Watch out for that mechanic,sounds like a Bozo??
I might not always give the perfect answer but never that bad???
Pics of the bad parts???