chrysler cdi repair?

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. Got a question thats prob been asked before but.. I have a few chrysler outboards and i know the cdi box was hit and miss on some of them but. Has anyone tried to cut apart and rebuild the unit. I would try but have good cdi box on my motors.
It cant be that complicated in the box considering its 70s tech and im not saying it will be easy but we all will be running into this prob one day or another and i think if we can come up with a diy cdi box or a way to repair them we would have some big benifits

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: chrysler cdi repair?

If you are talkimng about the Motorola CD box--black, finned cast aluminum-- The simple answer is no. While the CD unit electronics are relatively simple--a circuit board with a couple of capacitors and a gate transistor plus some resistors and other stuff, the box itself is potted in epoxy. The epoxy fills every void between the electronics. In order to remove it you need to destroy the components. So, you would be putting in all new components, not replacing a single defective transistor or capacitor. Figure out a way to dissolve out the epoxy without destroying the components and then yes, the CD unit is repairable.