Is there an easy way to change this part? 1989 Force 85

Dmact

Recruit
Firstly I have to say this forum is awesome, I've been lurking and reading mostly but now I need some help. I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a Force 85HP (Model Number: 856X9B). It seems whoever had this boat before broke the Rod end that connects the tower shaft to the trigger, they managed to zip tie the remaining piece to the shaft and it still works to some extent. I've gotten new parts to replace the broken piece but I can't figure out an easy way to remove the screw that holds it on to the trigger with out removing the flywheel, etc. Is there another way? Its part 32 below, I'll try and get a picture over the weekend.

23_zpsb082e5f3.png

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Dmact

Recruit
Re: Is there an easy way to change this part? 1989 Force 85

I was trying your first suggestion but even that was too big. No matter what position the trigger is in there just doesn't seem to be any way to get to the screw without taking everything off. Your second suggestion looks interesting though.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I use a small screwdriver on an angle and a 3/8 wrench.It's tricky but can be done.
After it's fixed you need to re-set the timing.

Dmact

Recruit

I was trying your first suggestion but even that was too big. No matter what position the trigger is in there just doesn't seem to be any way to get to the screw without taking everything off. Your second suggestion looks interesting though.

Is there a write up on how to do that here?

Dmact

Recruit

So I bought the Craftsman Ratcheting screwdriver suggestd earlier in this thread and still no luck. Does anybody else have any suggestions on how how to replace the linkage?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I second Jerry on that. Turn the screwdriver on its side "if that makes more sense". It will take time and patience, or just pull the flywheel. Its a 2 minute job with the right tools, and luck.

maverick974

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have, or should I say, had a 1984 Force 85 hp engine until about a week ago. Great engine. I've had it about 7 years with no major issues all and it always got me home.
I had to remove the flywheel to replace the stator last summer. It was much easier than I thought it would be.
You need one of those big claw type pullers but other than that, it's easy. Just don't lose the cotter key that sits between the flywheel and the crank.
In my opinion, it's faster, easier and cheaper to just pull the flywheel.