1991 70 hp force

glenner

Seaman Apprentice
first i dont have the manual...but im thinking the worst..(having to rip it down and split the case).
i have mounted the power unit after replacing a piston and rings...
i was attempting to attach the the cage assembly for ignition on the top of motor and it would not seat...
it seems that the upper bearing is pretty much flush with the top of the cranckcase...not allowing the cage to press flush on to the block...i had the crank out and i did not move the bearing on the crank as i believe they are pressed on.
am i missing something? the inner portion of the cage makes contact because it protrudes slightly, can i tap the bearing down ?..is the bearing somehow not seated? im beside myself.....
there is a uniform gap around the cage and top of block the same size as the protrusion on the bottom of the cage(approx 3/32" in)....just to recap...i got this motor torn down , bored out the bottom cylinder 20 thous, honed out the other 2, new piston, new rings on all three, new inner seals...did i make a major mistake and not seated the bearing all the way down?
i feel like strapping an anchor to myself ...
can someone help me out here?
thanks so much
glenn

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1991 70 hp force

Yes the bearing is pressed on. You might be able to tap it down, but you might have to loosen the bolts that hold the upper part of the case together. Might have to loosen the bolts in the middle of the case too. Not sure about the 70HP case, but I looked on a couple of my 120HP and 125HP cases and there is a lip on the lower part of the bearing opening that will prevent the bearing from going down too far.

Hopefully it's just a situation that when you installed the crank/bearing assy. in the case, you just didn't get it positioned so the the upper crankshaft bearing was seated all the way down against the lip.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 70 hp force

The top bearing is pressed onto the crankshaft nose. Itr is a heavy interference fit and you can not move it without an industrial sized press. SO: you could not have inadvertently shifted it on the crankshaft. Odds are that when you installed the crankshaft into the block the shaft and bearing were set too high. Given your description, I am surprised that the crankshaft cheeks are not rubbing on the crankcase.

ANYWAY: As stated above, loosen the to two crankcase bolts AND the six flange bolts. Then using a punch or drift, tap the outer race of the bearing until it is seated fully on the flange inside the block. At that point, you should be able to install the stator mount. Not a big deal and you won't need to split the case to apply more sealant to the flanges. You are not actually separating them, just releasing the pressure clamping the bearing race. Anyway, re-torque everything afterward.

EDIT Loosen either four or six flange bolts as applies--my 70 block only has four flange bolts for each cylinder.