power trim 1991 70 hp force

glenner

Seaman Apprentice
i have the power head off and also the bottom end...figured now is a good time to check the trim unit...
the unit is on a stand and i put power directly to the 2 motor wires to raise the unit.
it made a "strange gurgley noise at first momentarily and then seemed to work fine going all the way up..
my question is i want to add oil to the unit or should i bleed unit alltogether...how should i go about doing that?
also what fluid should i use? hydrolic fluid, power steering? tranny? i dont have my service manual, my friend needed it back and hes out of town....can someone give me a hand?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: power trim 1991 70 hp force

Pics of the unit?Your motor came with 2 types??
The oil could be 20wt/brown or powersteering fluid/red.
Take the plug off and check the color.
If it's tan or pink it has water in it, it will need to be drained and refilled.
If the colors right then just top it off while it's in the down position.

RRitt

Captain
Re: power trim 1991 70 hp force

89-95 70HP Force is a special case system with no overlap to other Force trim systems. If you use 30W ND motor oil then it may be too thick and cause damage to your pump.

If the remaining fluid in your system was red then use the appropriate ATF or Quicksilver trim fluid.

If the existing fluid was tan or honey colored then you should use ISO32 hydraulic oil. Hydraulic jack oil is an okay substitute.