71 Chrysler 85hp lower unit stuck on

searay4me

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '71 Chrysler 85hp that has a lower unit stuck on.
I have removed it before with no problems.
All the bolts are out, shift pin pulled.
I tried a rubber mallet, jumping on it, pulling it with a winch, warming up the engine.
Nothing has made it budge.
Any secrets would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 71 Chrysler 85hp lower unit stuck on

There is a possibility that the drive shaft has rusted into the crankshaft snout. I believe that Chrysler had a bulletin /procedure that involved (if I remember correctly) unbolting the engine block (six bolts and six studs and nuts) and starting the engine. The resulting vibration caused the rust weld to break. I never tried it and it does sound a bit dangerous but if you are desperate----

And, you did remember the 12 point, aircraft type, 6 inch long bolt, hidden inside the exhaust snout, didn't you?

Once you do get it out, coat the drive shaft splines with a light layer of anti-seize

searay4me

Seaman Apprentice

There is a possibility that the drive shaft has rusted into the crankshaft snout. I believe that Chrysler had a bulletin /procedure that involved (if I remember correctly) unbolting the engine block (six bolts and six studs and nuts) and starting the engine. The resulting vibration caused the rust weld to break. I never tried it and it does sound a bit dangerous but if you are desperate----

And, you did remember the 12 point, aircraft type, 6 inch long bolt, hidden inside the exhaust snout, didn't you?

Once you do get it out, coat the drive shaft splines with a light layer of anti-seize

Yes I did, but thanks for the thought.

I think I know the answer but I am desperate so I will ask, is there any way to get to the drive shaft without unbolting the engine block?
The concern is that the bolts, nuts, and threads are all so corroded and/rusted that they love to shear/break/strip before they come out.

searay4me

Seaman Apprentice

Sidenote: I have heard that you should use anti-seize and that you should use water-resistant grease. If I get it off what do you think is the best?

Thanks for the help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Either will do. Basically you just want to keep the inside splines of the drive shaft from rusting. Not much water gets up there: Just some splashing and mist, but it is enough to penetrate and rust, especially if the rubber bellows seal is missing. So, grease or anti-seize acts like a seal.

And bad news: there is nothing you can do to get to the drive shaft. Simply put, at this point you need to pry, bang, curse, and pray to Neptune. You can try the above mentioned procedure but I have never tried it and can not attest to its actually working. If you are really worried about the block bolts, try it with the lower unbolted instead and the shift rod removed (if you can get it out--you may need to cut it. The lower unit will spin and really whack around from side to side. That may wobble enough to break the shaft free. Just don't be anywhere near it. If it works, or if it doesn't, report it on the forum. Then we will all know.

searay4me

Seaman Apprentice

I love it but DANG that sounds scary!!
Thanks for the advice.