force 125 lower crankshaft seal

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I posted this question on my 125 rebuild thread with no response so I thought I would try again. I'm trying to remove the seal from the lower crank bearing. I sprayed it with penetrating oil, heated it with a heat gun, bolted it back in the split casing, and tried a pry type seal puller with a wood block to protect the aluminum. I've puckered out the edge of the seal in several places but it still won't budge. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
IMG_5282.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 125 lower crankshaft seal

You Know: I have never needed to replace a lower seal so I can not give actual advice. However: Many seals that I have taken out need to be destroyed to be removed. So, simply get medieval on it with a pliers, dykes, seal puller, or chisel. Since you appear to have new seals sitting in the photo, it doesn't matter if you damage or completely destroy it in removing it.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I usually use a flat blade screw driver and a hammer. Place the bearing with the seal facing down on a piece of wood, put the screw driver on the edge of the metal part of the seal and hit it a few times. You may have to support the bearing by just the outer edge with a couple of pieces of hard wood (oak) so that you can drive the seal all the way out. Once you get the seal to move a little bit, you can usually pry it out the rest of the way.

To install the new seal I just use a socket that matches the outer circumference of the seal and gently tap it into place.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the encouragement/advice. I'm not sure I needed to replace it. There appeared to be some oil getting past it when i took it apart. Having a new one in the gasket set I thought it a good idea to go ahead and replace it. Maybe not. Now that I have it beat up pretty good I'm committed (or should be according to my wife). Being a teacher, and having a coveted snow day today, I'll find some time to get into the shop and put some whoop a** on it.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Success. After working on it with a chisel I realized that the seal was two pieces sandwiched together. I kept bending the inside piece in until I could get the dykes to grab it, then twisted it out. I cut away the rubber and started bending the bottom edge up until I exposed the shelf the seal sits on. I got a screwdriver between the bend and the shelf and kept working the sides until it started to move. My seal puller was useless. I've taken the bearing back out of the case and will press in the new seal after lunch. :D

IMG_5284.jpgIMG_5285.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Great idea! Never thought of doing it that way. Using the case to hold it. Learned something new.